Ranger Fender Oxidation Problem

Hi guys, I am the second owner of a 2006 Ranger 519 VX. One issue I have had since I purchased it is horrible oxidation on one of the one fenders. The previous owner had stated that when he stored it for a while outside (with the cover on) his sprinkler system repeatedly sprayed on the fenders for an extended period of time causing issues thereafter. He supposedly brought it to be professionally taken care of afterwards. That is all hear say, but I have had the boat for quite a few years now and it seems to me like the gel coat is really thin and the fenders oxidize very quickly after being exposed to water. I have tried buffing on them many times with wax, buffing compound, oxidation compound, very light wet sanding...etc., but nothing really seems to resolve the issue or make it look like it should. It does look a little better after the buffing, but nothing like the rest of the boat, or what it should look like. I try to always wipe it down with a spray wax after each use and that helps keep it a little at bay, but after being exposed to water just a few times from loading/unloading it is right back to what is shown in the picture. If anyone has some suggestions I am all ears. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by tim_kovar; 04-03-2024 at 08:50 AM.

It’s not a long term cure, but wipe the fenders with Zep wet look floor polish. I restored a ‘95 481 and the cap was in worse shape than what your fender appears to be. I wasn’t going to spend the time and money to redo the cap and used the Zep on the cap. It looks 10x’s better and the luster has lasted through the fall/winter. Otherwise, it’s likely going to take clear coating your fender. To do it really right, it needs to be de-trimmed and do the whole thing. You could stop the clear at your pinstripe but you’d have a tape line there and I’m not a fan of that.