Sea star steering

Where is the best place to lube to stop steering wheel squeak when turning the steering wheel and what would yall use?

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

2. Member
    None of mine have ever made a peep.

3. Member
    The motor mount has grease points. When is the last time you added a little grease?

It hasnt been too long. The squeak is definitely coming from the streering wheel area

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    None of mine have ever made a peep.
    Thats good. Mine does. Sooooooo where is a good spot to shoot some lube in.

Iv had a few sea star steering systems and they havent made a sound either at the wheel. With that being said iv used this one alot more than my previous ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Thats good. Mine does. Sooooooo where is a good spot to shoot some lube in.

Iv had a few sea star steering systems and they havent made a sound either at the wheel. With that being said iv used this one alot more than my previous ones.
    Could air in the system cause the squeaking sound? Maybe try bleeding it to see if it goes away?
    97 TR21 99 225EFI S/N OG885575

7. Member
    Well heck. Maybe you've got something between the wheel and the shaft. I don't think silicone spray in that area would hurt anything or just spray some T/T fluid in there, after all any seals in the area are rated for exposure to the working fluid.
    If you're a neatness devotee any loose fluid may be against your religion but my boat is just a tool to get to bass and back so I don't care about some loose fluids on stuff.

8. Member
    The rubber boot around the steering column was squeaking on mine. I sprayed it will silicon where it rubs the mount and wheel
    and fixed the squeak.

9. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Mine also squeaks so I'll give some of this a try. Thanks