Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best Bang For The Buck Trolling Motor Battery

I have a TM battery made in spring of 2019. I notice it getting weaker toward the end of the day. I figure I am about to replace it.

When you consider...
    Warranty
    Power
    Trouble Free
    Initial Cost
    Any Discounts
    Wet cell and AGM
    Personal Real Life Experience with Longevity

.....and whatever else might play into account.

Which battery do you think is the best value? I could be talked into lithium ... but it would be a hard sell. I would probably have to buy another charger, right??? I am tempted to just go get me another Walmart battery. But I wanted to come here and check if I am missing something I should consider.

It is for the little 16 footer boat with the 12 volt motor and I don't run daylight to dark anymore.

Thanks.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

2. Member
    Everstart group 29/31. They're like $90, and I get close to 5 seasons out of them. I do check electrolyte levels monthly FWIW. I've run 4+ sets of them

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Everstart group 29/31. They're like $90, and I get close to 5 seasons out of them. I do check electrolyte levels monthly FWIW. I've run 4+ sets of them
    or everstarts 27 group used for 6-7 yrs no issues
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    This ^^^ my current set of group 29's are 8 years old and still going strong

5. Member
    I'm curious how often you guys are using them? Only reason i ask is i've been running these same batteries with a 36v ultrex and can only get 2 maybe 2.5 seasons out of them but i do fish quite often. I have a ranger z519, do you leave your charger plugged in at all times while not using?

6. Member
    Three years no problem -full power until the end of third season……at $90 a pop why go lithium ……QUOTE=bassboat1;12886185]Everstart group 29/31. They're like $90, and I get close to 5 seasons out of them. I do check electrolyte levels monthly FWIW. I've run 4+ sets of them[/QUOTE]

7. Member
    This and keep the water checked in them.

8. Member
    Is there a big difference between the 29 and 31 in terms of run time, and capacity, etc?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerZ519 View Post
    Is there a big difference between the 29 and 31 in terms of run time, and capacity, etc?
    No they are basically the same, some brands have a group 29 and some have a group 31.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Happy talk to you about lithium it's benefits etc and you may not have to buy a different charger persay if going with one of our run and gun chargers. Feel free pm me if interested . Discounted lithium prices to all BBC customers as well as 8 new custom packages that make it even easier to get into lithium at a price that makes sense . Benefits vs cost vs warranty.

11. Member
    IMHO Lithium or even AGM for that matter wouldn't be necessary. I don't fish tournaments anymore and just bought new wet cells from WallyWorld. My last wet cells lasted 8 years, half of them were in tournys.
    I check water levels every couple of months, charge after a day on the lake and top off the night before going.
    With the fishing you do, all the latest and greatest won't give you anymore than what you have now.
    If you are planning to upgrade or add more goodies, then look for more power.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    IMHO Lithium or even AGM for that matter wouldn't be necessary. I don't fish tournaments anymore and just bought new wet cells from WallyWorld. My last wet cells lasted 8 years, half of them were in tournys.
    I check water levels every couple of months, charge after a day on the lake and top off the night before going.
    With the fishing you do, all the latest and greatest won't give you anymore than what you have now.
    This is great advice. You don't need expensive lithiums or AGMs to give you the power you need. I've had 2 Duracell wet cells from Sam's Club going on 7 seasons with no sign of slowing down. Like Jim said, check your water levels often. I refill mine once a month or so.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    I believe this is wisdom. I've run wet cell Walmart Everstarts for over 30 years. I take care of them and I get 5 to 7 years out of them. In terms of cost per year you can't beat them. Can you beat the weight, sure you can: can you beat the power, sure you can - but do you really need it?

14. Member
    I have had very good life out of the Deka Marine Master wet cells, the original units, group 27 lasted over 7 years, my second set still running strong, just check water levels monthly during the season.

15. #FRB
    Can't beat the Walmart batteries when it comes to price, convenience, and reliability.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Can't beat the Walmart batteries when it comes to price, convenience, and reliability.
    I have no idea how you guys are getting 5 to 7 years. I am lucky if I get three full seasons and I only fish about 20 days per year.... Water levels are checked once a month the batteries go on charge immediately after fishing and charge on a trickle charge after they reach full charge.... It might be that I run a lot of reservoir where these batteries are running straight for 8 to 10 hours maybe that's why I am not getting 5 to 7 seasons out of them?? Never more than three full seasons on them...... at only $100 a battery, so roughly $33 a year. I just can't justify the cost of lithium batteries

Batteries Plus Duracell batteries. These are wet cell and come in several sizes. Around $139 or so and I've had very good luck with these.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTR21 View Post
    Batteries Plus Duracell batteries. These are wet cell and come in several sizes. Around $139 or so and I've had very good luck with these.
    Running DurAcell now. Seems to be solid.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    225 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS (# 2B591262)
    MinnKota Ultrex trolling motor
    Lowrance HDS Carbons

19. Member
    ....gotta agree - 3 years and still going strong
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

20. Member
    I've had good luck with these as well

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast