Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    To fish or not to fish?
    What stupid question.

2. Member
    I think this is the attitude of a lot of northern anglers... Its walleye, crappie or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Growing up we considered smallmouth a trash fish that nobody would consider eating. We ate a lot of walleye and sauger. Grew up in South Dakota.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blankbait View Post
    I think this is the attitude of a lot of northern anglers... Its walleye, crappie or nothing.
    Don't forget yellow perch and bluegill

He needed a bigger parking lot to show em all off in this pic lol.

Screenshot_20230907-095006_Samsung Internet.jpg

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    Smallmouth are kind of like crappie, in that they can overpopulate, if not harvested.
    That is a very broad statement and not at all true in the clearwater streams here in northern Arkansas and southern Missouri. Several of the rivers/streams have very strict limits on what you can keep.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    He needed a bigger parking lot to show em all off in this pic lol.

Screenshot_20230907-095006_Samsung Internet.jpg
    and people think catching some fish off a bed is going to hurt the population

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    That is a very broad statement and not at all true in the clearwater streams here in northern Arkansas and southern Missouri. Several of the rivers/streams have very strict limits on what you can keep.
    Stream smallmouth are some of the best eating fish I have ever had. But yes, it only takes a few people to wipeout a stream when there are only a couple fish at most in each pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    Well, just like the english language, there are always exceptions to the rules.

9. Member
    Who cares if they keep them. There are creel limits for a reason

10. Member
    The SM are always worth the trip but tough to find in some places. BIL caught a >6 lber in Canada and he has never been the same since.

11. Member
    Well, just like the english language, there are always exceptions to the rules.
    Agree, I wish we had some overpopulated streams/rivers here.

12. Member
    It's funny, it kind of makes me wince to see the smallies hanging there, but being realistic between tongue hooked fish and delayed mortality of fish I have riding in the livewell all day during a tournament, I'm probably responsible for more fish kills than the guy who gets a limit and eats them once a year.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

13. Member
    That’s nothing. Mille Lacs 20-30 years ago use to take charter boats out with a pile of people on them and keep their limit of walleye day after day. Then blame it on the smallmouth when the population declined

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    That’s nothing. Mille Lacs 20-30 years ago use to take charter boats out with a pile of people on them and keep their limit of walleye day after day. Then blame it on the smallmouth when the population declined
    Seen a couple of them big boats out of Hunter's Point a couple weeks ago out there. Must of had 25 people on them at least.

15. Member
    Seen a couple of them big boats out of Hunter's Point a couple weeks ago out there. Must of had 25 people on them at least.
    Uh huh. I knew a guy that use to charter a boat about 25 years ago. 20-30 people keeping their limit. Ran two trips a day

16. Member
    I can't even look at the photo.....

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    While I'd never keep a healthy one for the table, I did eat one this summer that was dead from a tourney weigh in. I grilled it and it was surprisingly good. Up there, I'm surprised they didn't keep more walleyes.
    They didn’t keep more walleyes cause they did t catch ‘em. It’s that simple out here on the river. Late summer they go pull baits and catch a lot of smallies while walleye fishing and clients end up happy cause they are at least catching fish. I’ve seen boards of all 4 to 5 lb fish from Oahe years ago. A lot of these fish come from so deep though it’s probably good they at least get consumed.

18. Member
    We fish in basically the same area of Francis Case as these guys and It's a walleye game but right now,fishing is super tough. On a typical trip,we like to eat fish one night. If no walleyes,we take anything we can get for a meal. White bass are the best but not afraid of a smallie or 2. These guys loading up on them makes me laugh. Both are inedible after frozen IMO.

19. Member
    Fresh SM is very tasty, a buddy and I used to go way up North into MI for a guy's trip and usually keep a couple if walleye fishing strikes out for a fresh fish fry for diner one evening.

Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Fresh SM is very tasty, a buddy and I used to go way up North into MI for a guy's trip and usually keep a couple if walleye fishing strikes out for a fresh fish fry for diner one evening.
    I'm not saying they're not tasty or giving them shit for keeping them. What I don't get is keeping them during crazy hot weather, letting them get stiff as a board and then cleaning them. All fish taste better out of cold water and cleaned right away, not hot and mushy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12