Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCat View Post
    As many coanglers with 20 lb bags as boats. That is rare.
    Shared weight at Open. Clearlake lake last couple weeks. 38 teams over 20 on one day. Last 2 TOC took 5.2 average to win

Fun fact...I bought my boat from Day 1 leader, Kyle Grover, and his Dad at Angler's Marine. Great group of guys, wish nothing but the best for them.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Gray View Post
    Pretty much every BASS open event or Toyota series tournament for the last number of years had at least 50 more boats and paid out 25% less money. I've fished team events here with 400 boats regularly back in the day, 183 boats is not a eye opener anywhere east of the Mississippi.
    Put that tournament on in Alabama and you would could cut it off at 500 and have a waiting list a mile long.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    Put that tournament on in Alabama and you would could cut it off at 500 and have a waiting list a mile long.
    As a west coast guy I want to argue, but really can't on this one

I will say, 183 anglers paying the pro entry fee ($1600), and traveling across the entire west coast which is some seriously long drives, is still pretty impressive in an area where bass fishing really isn't all that popular.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Twenty years ago, the 2003 US Open was the first tournament I ever fished...not a local circuit or club tourney but the biggest tournament on the West coast!!! I had a great time and fished with two guys who are fishing it this year - Steve Molinari and Cliff Pirch. The other pro I fished with was Brent Erhler, so I had some good draws and learned a ton!

One of my good friend is fishing it as a pro this year and was in 3rd after day one - hoping Jimmy can keep catching 'em and stay up near the top!

The US Open is a great event and it's the biggest we get out on the West coast. WON Bass does a great job with these tournaments and they are a lot of fun to fish.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    As a west coast guy I want to argue, but really can't on this one

I will say, 183 anglers paying the pro entry fee ($1600), and traveling across the entire west coast which is some seriously long drives, is still pretty impressive in an area where bass fishing really isn't all that popular.
    Between Mead, Mohave, Havasu, and the Colorado River in between, there’s a whole lot of tournament guys who would argue this point.

Mohave is an incredible fishery now with the smallies. Weights are down a little this year compared to last year’s Open, but the lake has been fishing tough for many in large part due to the annual drawdown… this year’s tourney is later in the year, and they are nearly at the bottom of the drawdown (currently about 10’ below typical pool level) which has the fish pulled off the banks.

I was entered to fish it again, but my buddy who was entered on the Pro side lost his lower unit last Thursday while we were prefishing and the replacement we got overnighted had a machining problem.

Good to see the weather cooperating - going to blow a bit tomorrow afternoon, but shouldn’t impact the tournament. The Laughlin Open earlier this year (WON three day ProAm on Mohave) got blown out and was reduced to a one-day shootout.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tunamann View Post
    Between Mead, Mohave, Havasu, and the Colorado River in between, there’s a whole lot of tournament guys who would argue this point.

Mohave is an incredible fishery now with the smallies. Weights are down a little this year compared to last year’s Open, but the lake has been fishing tough for many in large part due to the annual drawdown… this year’s tourney is later in the year, and they are nearly at the bottom of the drawdown (currently about 10’ below typical pool level) which has the fish pulled off the banks.

I was entered to fish it again, but my buddy who was entered on the Pro side lost his lower unit last Thursday while we were prefishing and the replacement we got overnighted had a machining problem.

Good to see the weather cooperating - going to blow a bit tomorrow afternoon, but shouldn’t impact the tournament. The Laughlin Open earlier this year (WON three day ProAm on Mohave) got blown out and was reduced to a one-day shootout.
    I know the tournament scene has some absolute die hards over here on the west coast, and some tremendous anglers too. When I say bass fishing isn't all that popular, I'm more talking sheer numbers of guys who are actually participating. I think when you look at numbers of guys who fish on the pro side and the percentage of tournaments they fish, it's likely pretty high on the west coast. The problem is we don't have that huge reserve of guys willing to fish the pro side. In a state like Alabama lets just say you have 5,000 guys willing to fish "pro". So they have no problem filling their tournaments. In the entire west coast we might have 800-900 guys willing to fish pro, so when the toyotas or WWBT trail have a half full field it gets written off as not being a dedicated area, but the problem is sheer numbers of actual bass fisherman, not their willingness to actually participate and put entry fees in.

8. Member
    It’s kind of sad that this event is being held at Mojave’s instead of Lake Mead. The once never heard of Mohave is going to get hammered now like Havasu. And if you know anything about Havasu it is very apparent that the snowbirds enjoy the taste of spawning smallmouth bass

Agreed. There are quite a few tournaments fished on these bodies of water. Ive been in several different bass clubs. As far as not being on Mead anymore. Well....Laughlin welcomed WON BASS with open arms when they came down for the Laughlin open or whatever it was called. And Mead has been way down water wise so it just made sense to switch it. And the city of Laughlin loves having the economic boost and the publicity boost it draws.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt1down View Post
    It’s kind of sad that this event is being held at Mojave’s instead of Lake Mead. The once never heard of Mohave is going to get hammered now like Havasu. And if you know anything about Havasu it is very apparent that the snowbirds enjoy the taste of spawning smallmouth bass
    BTW.......Mojave is a desert... Mohave is a lake.......LOL. Just kidding. People get it wrong all the time.
    " A Few Good Fish"

So far.......... Zaldain is sitting in 4th. Weigh in is still going on.

https://www.facebook.com/WONBassTour...9983943864457/
    " A Few Good Fish"

12. Member
    When the Open was held years ago at Calville, those were the days. The Calville bay hike back to your truck was a heart attack !

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt1down View Post
    They’re holding a WON Bass Open tournament on Mead next September, followed by the US Open on Mohave again in October. Rumor is that they may consider moving the US Open back to Mead the following year. This would presume, obviously, that the water level remains the same or better… we got over 20’ from the El Niño and outflows from Powell this year, and hoping for more next year. At least all of the other reservoirs are filled finally, so they won’t need to divert much next time around.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muskyman73 View Post
    When the Open was held years ago at Calville, those were the days. The Calville bay hike back to your truck was a heart attack !
    First year I fished it was 2006, and the water was near full pool… not a bad walk at all at that level. A few years later, it was indeed a chore if you weren’t able to catch the golf cart.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    Is it true that BASS didn’t fill one of the Southern Opens this year? Seems like I recall something along those lines.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Is it true that BASS didn’t fill one of the Southern Opens this year? Seems like I recall something along those lines.
    To be fair, if you don't have a chance to qualify for the classic by fishing all three, zero reason anyone should jackpot an open unless you are 100% sure you have a great shot to win. The payout is terrible, especially if elites and classic spots aren't in play.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    What are the “AAA” anglers in this tournament?

18. Member
    AAA's are the co an
    glers

" A Few Good Fish"

20. dartag1829
    [QUOTE=Tarheel14;13206176]So far.......... Zaldain is sitting in 4th. Weigh in is still going on.

He edned up 6th. This was his quote. Give him credit for acknowledging FFS made it happen.

" All three events required FFS technology, and I’ve accepted this new era of fishing and am committed to dialing in my setup more and more each week."

Winner made Huge money and prizes. I see why that is a huge event.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast