Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Boaters licenses

Something I agree with....

California Anglers 60 years old or younger you will need a CA Boaters Card to operate a boat on CA waters.
    Good news is most insurance companies will give you a discount once you passed the test.
    I have mine because Missouri is like post 1984 but there is a ton of stuff that I have seen people could stand to learn.

If there is already a thread about it, I don't care.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

2. Member
    Had mine for years
    Risen From The Ashes!!

Ohio passed a law about 20 years ago that anyone born after 1988, I think, had to pass a boater education course and get a license. Obviously, I was grandfathered in. However, Ontario passed a similar law that did not grandfather me in...well, kind of. As long as I operate my boat, registered in Ohio, I'm legal, as I satisfy Ohio Law. However, when I operate the boat we keep at our cabin, which is registered in Ontario, I am required to have a boating license. I asked an Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources Officer about this and he agreed. My boating skill don't change because I operate a boat registered in Ontario vs Ohio, but it's the law. So, I had to spend $45 Canadian and get my Ontario boating card. About 85% of the stuff in the course had no bearing on any of the boating that I do. But, I passed only missing one question.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Alabama has required it since 91. Alabama is revising their boating regulations in 2024.

More Government overreach along with the fact the money goes to everything but sportsman....So much for the 12 year old kid and a John boat

Connecticut had it for a least 20yrs, but even with the boating certificate some of these people still shouldn't be on the water the way they drive their boats.
    Dawnpatrol.
    Goin Fishing be home for Hunting Season !!!!!!!!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker_114th View Post
    More Government overreach along with the fact the money goes to everything but sportsman....So much for the 12 year old kid and a John boat
    I'm sure it only applies to boats with a certain number of horsepower. In Michigan no one needs a license for an unmotorized boat, and I believe the minimum is 6HP to need any kind of license. A boater's license/certificate also does not cost anything except the price of a class, which does not go to the government.

8. Member
    New Hampshire has had a license requirement for 20 years or so.
    Red Sox in 6!

9. Member
    A license SHOULD be required BUT 100% of proceeds should go to on the water services, not to a "general funds".
    Proverbs 28:1

10. Member
    They could care less how safe you are. They only want that extra $$$$$$$ going into the general fund.

11. Member
    In NYS is will be required for EVERYONE by January 1st 2025. However many need it now as shown below according to your age.
    Jan. 1, 1993 2020
    Jan. 1, 1988 2022
    Jan. 1, 1983 2023
    Jan. 1, 1978 2024

12. Member
    BTW I took a free course that was offered by BoatUS and then had a "Anchor" added to my drivers license that indicates I took and passed the Boating Course.

https://courses.boatus.org/

13. Member
    Both of my boys just went through this in Ohio and got their licenses over the winter so they could take out our pontoon anytime they wanted to with their friends.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    Alabama has required it since 91. Alabama is revising their boating regulations in 2024.
    Just read that. The bill in the legislature is 72 pages long!

15. Member
    the boaters card in california is not 60 and under it is for all ages just dont phase in the older people until 2025. with that when they statred pushing it I got mine the first year because the course was free and now I see some people paying 70+ for it. I do believe there are still free courses for it out there. I myself have no issues with it and it sure would benifit a few who are butts out thee on the water but to be honest those kind dont care about anyone else but themselves.

California Harbors and Navigation Code Section 678.11(b) contains the following phase-in schedule based on operator age:

• January 1, 2018 – Persons 20 years of age or younger
    • January 1, 2019 – Persons 25 years of age or younger
    • January 1, 2020 – Persons 35 years of age or younger
    • January 1, 2021 – Persons 40 years of age or younger
    • January 1, 2022 – Persons 45 years of age or younger
    • January 1, 2023 – Persons 50 years of age or younger
    • January 1, 2024 – Persons 60 years of age or younger
    • January 1, 2025 – All persons regardless of age

16. Member
    It a JOKE and anyone who has taken it knows it is! All online (phone) & my kids both did it in the car on the way to the lake when they were like 11 years old!
    More FEEL Good legislation that does NOTHING!

17. Member
    I'm in Missouri too, but born in the mid 70s so I wasn't required to get a boaters license. I've been boating since I was a kid, but this past spring I took the course and got my license since my daughter (16) was required to get hers. Being online it's pretty easy, but it's better than nothing. I have a older friends that will never get their boaters licenses since it's not required, but I know from years of watching them drive their boats that it would benefit them (and others).
    2022 Lund Tyee 1875, Merc 200

In Alabama you are required to have your boaters license if you were born after April 28, 1954. It's been that way for about 30 years.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    BTW I took a free course that was offered by BoatUS and then had a "Anchor" added to my drivers license that indicates I took and passed the Boating Course.

https://courses.boatus.org/
    We did this as part of our B.A.S.S. club winter functions in the 1990’s.! Actually had reps from Army Corp of Engineers who run the Ohio River navigation. It was a very interesting experience and I recommend it because it served as a safety reminder.! Which never hurts.!

Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    It a JOKE and anyone who has taken it knows it is! All online (phone) & my kids both did it in the car on the way to the lake when they were like 11 years old!
    More FEEL Good legislation that does NOTHING!
    It is only a joke because you let it be. If more people would take the course seriously and learn just the basics of boat operation, we would all be safer for it. Do you know how to properly overtake and pass another vessel or what give way and stand to are? More and more lake associations are pushing for speed limits and/or horsepower restrictions and point at all the speeding bass boats when they do. You be part of the problem or part of the solution, your choice.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast