Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Jimmy Millsaps.

Fish are on beds pretty strong on Lanier now. Both species. Gonna be windy tomorrow, but that lake is a special place.

2. Member
    So the hammers are still hammers even without FFS...who knew

Sounds like a fun tournament. I bet it will grow as long as it doesn’t interfere with other schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I can totally understand as a pro being sick of it after your eyeballs are burning after using it for 7 days straight.

On my day off to go fishing, I’d way rather use it and set the hook instead of idling and casting at nothing. Hell even with livescope it’s pretty tough to find them at times lol.
    Yea, it’s a skill like everything else in fishing. But just like I wouldn’t wanna throw the same exact bait every trip, I wouldn’t want to “have” to mind the screen all day everyday despite changing techniques. In tournaments (with a few exceptions) you need to be using it part of the day against other high level fisherman because it increases your efficiency and accuracy. Doesn’t mean you will win every time with it but you hurt your efficiency without it. Against guys that already know what they are doing, that increase in efficiency could be the difference between a good weight and a check, and a long ride home. I feel the pro guys (and many weekend warrior tourney guys) in certain parts of the country rarely get a break from it. I’ve got my most consequential derby of the year this weekend and my eyes gonna be looking at it lol

5. Member
    So only 47 showed up?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    So only 47 showed up?
    Ha it’s impressive if you think about how quick they threw it together. It will grow. Buckle up
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

Quote Originally Posted by JBIGUNS View Post
    Ha it’s impressive if you think about how quick they threw it together. It will grow. Buckle up
    The payouts will bring them in imo

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    So only 47 showed up?

For close to same entry fee the BPT gets 79, the Elites 100 and NPFL 100. Tvey did this without much PR or advertising. $5000 ain't a drop in the hat. I bet it grows if they keep at it especially with the payout.

9. Member
    I hoping it succeeds. It’s a fruit jar on steroids (albeit expensive one) targeting the sports top guys regardless their current league affiliation. I love the no practice and waypoint approach.
    We’ve all wanted to see a derby featuring the best from both leagues.
    I hope more “names” come on board.

10. Member

It’s been advertised for months, how long does it take to become meaningful?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    It’s been advertised for months, how long does it take to become meaningful?
    Hell we have a hard time getting 50 boats with $150-$300 entry. $5K with no practice, guys fishing multiple other tours, a week out from the classic, guys pre practicing for other events, etc. etc.
    They could have had 150 boats and guys like you would still be bitchn. Guys fishing it seem pretty optimistic and happy to be fishing it!
    Lowrance / Garmin

12. Member
    I bet a $5000 entry on Lanier with no restrictions on electronics would have drawn more boats with the current lack of activity after the classic. The Canadian boys needed something to enter.
    2023 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Yamaha SHO S/N 6KWL 1004324

13. Member
    Hell we have a hard time getting 50 boats with $150-$300 entry. $5K with no practice, guys fishing multiple other tours, a week out from the classic, guys pre practicing for other events, etc. etc.
    They could have had 150 boats and guys like you would still be bitchn. Guys fishing it seem pretty optimistic and happy to be fishing it!

Well, you’re in NH, are there even 50 boats in the entire state? But you’re wrong, I’m not “bitchin”, I’m just stating facts. 47 guys with 6 months of advertising and none of that devil FFS, just isn’t impressive. Did any of the anti-FFS guys even fish in the tournament? Doesn’t look like it.

So, what’s the point now? It cost too much, guys want practice, no ffs. If guys won’t support it, it’s a dead idea.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duncankopprichardson View Post
    I bet a $5000 entry on Lanier with no restrictions on electronics would have drawn more boats with the current lack of activity after the classic. The Canadian boys needed something to enter.
    100%. Especially with basically no practice.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    Well, you’re in NH, are there even 50 boats in the entire state? But you’re wrong, I’m not “bitchin”, I’m just stating facts. 47 guys with 6 months of advertising and none of that devil FFS, just isn’t impressive. Did any of the anti-FFS guys even fish in the tournament? Doesn’t look like it.

So, what’s the point now? It cost too much, guys want practice, no ffs. If guys won’t support it, it’s a dead idea.
    We have a pretty good lake that straddles the VT/NY border up here. Oh and the 2023 Elite Qualifier from BASS Nation and 2024 TBF National Champion are from NH ;)
    I think it’s impressive that they had an idea, ran with it and drew the caliber of names they did for their first event with very little marketing and overhead. Facts? You’re stating your negative opinion, that is all.
    Lowrance / Garmin

16. Member
    We have a pretty good lake that straddles the VT/NY border up here. Oh and the 2023 Elite Qualifier from BASS Nation and 2024 TBF National Champion are from NH ;)
    I think it’s impressive that they had an idea, ran with it and drew the caliber of names they did for their first event with very little marketing and overhead. Facts? You’re stating your negative opinion, that is all.
    I just think the non-ffs rule and zero practice eliminated a lot of potential participants. And of course the guys who whine the most about ffs didn’t even enter lol.

You make this a 100% payback pot tournament with 1-2 days of practice and no electronics restrictions, I bet the turnout is much better.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

17. Member

No, I agree that it was a nice attempt at something different. But unfortunately the whiners didn’t support it and it will end up being a failure. If the whiners had actually done what they always claim they want, it would have been a different story.

Where’s Swindle, Menendez, Blauket, New, Ike, Herrin? These guys are all on record as being anti-FFS and none of them showed up. Instead, a bunch of scopers did show up to prove they can do it either way.

edit: I didn’t mean to sound exactly like McJenson, I should have read all the comments first, but I agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by WStorey View Post
    https://touringanglersassociation.co...wRJwKD4Z7r3prg

Emil Wagner 4th place with 21lbs. Young scoper who people would claim can’t catch fish without it.
    I'm pulling for him but was one of those doubting he would do as well w/o FFS. But, also helps that he's a guide there...

19. Member
    This is giving people what many claimed they wanted. You would think anyone who has made any noise at all that this was what was needed would have shown up and used their platform to try and help promote it. You know, on the water, at the docks, shooting footage, posting updates. I guess it’s not as important to them as they made it seem, this “ this is what anglers want” spiel.

The real Pros I can understand not being there. They have sponsors they don’t want to dump on. But the internet squawking head? Why isn’t he there?

I think they got a pretty good turnout for a first time thing. . See where it all leads.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I just think the non-ffs rule and zero practice eliminated a lot of potential participants. And of course the better.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast