Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Is jug fishing or trot lining considered fishing in your eyes?

I saw this article today about a possible new state record Blue cat being caught in Ohio. I'm thrilled for the young lady who got it, and she genuinely seems to enjoy the outdoors, so that's awesome as well. She caught the fish by jug fishing. There is no differentiation between trot lining, jug fishing, and rod and reel fishing in Ohio with regards to record fish, so she very well could be the new record holder. And I'm fine with that. But at the same time, I'm also not sure if I consider jug fishing or trot lining to be fishing...or at least not in the same arena as rod and reel fishing. Setting out bait and then leaving it for hours or days and then coming back and pulling in whatever has hooked itself in that timeframe just doesn't feel like fishing to me. What do you guys think?

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/te...-ever-imagined

2. Member
    jug or trot line is definitely fishing. But on that note it should be a separate category. Heck of a fish for that young girl though! Kudos to her.

3. Member
    String. Hook. Fish. Yep.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

I don't really think much about it since I don't do it. I figure others enjoy it so that's good enough for me.

5. #FRB
    Lots of opinion on this one. I call it fishing for meat and not for sport. If I get hung in someone's trotline they usually know I've been there...
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

6. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    I’m not a sport cat fisherman so I really don’t have any issue with considering such a record. That being said, if you’re familiar with any of the cat fishing groups or forums, the guys who do it for sport are a hard core crowd. If it’s not on a rod a reel you don’t even bother posting about it because they will destroy you
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

7. Member
    you are using a hook and a line to catch a fish...not sure why you wouldn't consider it fishing

8. Member
    There is discussion that it should have a * and explanation noted.

No that’s harvesting
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

10. Member
    It's a state record, not IGFA. Rod and reel is called out, not jug or trotline fishing.

It's fishing.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

12. Member
    Not legal to use jugs, trot line here.

13. Moderator
    It's fishing but shouldn't be in the record books in my opinion or it should have some sort of asterisk beside it.

14. Member
    Here's a question for those who live in northern states that allow jugs and trots: when ice fishing, do fishermen have to stay right with their traps? Could you set a trap overnight and check it in the morning? Up here, wardens can pop you just for being out of sight of your traps.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

15. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Here's a question for those who live in northern states that allow jugs and trots: when ice fishing, do fishermen have to stay right with their traps? Could you set a trap overnight and check it in the morning? Up here, wardens can pop you just for being out of sight of your traps.
    Not a northern angler, but here we can leave them out but jugs, yo-yos, etc have to be marked with name, license number, phone number and truck tag number.
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avidbasser View Post
    It's fishing.
    So is commercial hoop nets, snagging, Bow fishing, dynamite etc. is it just the biggest fish no matter how caught count? I have no problem with the girl or the family and grew up with trot lines, jug fishing, hoop net's etc. I just wonder if the ODNR may be a bit loose in wanting to brag a little. Just for the info. most of the Ohio river is Ky water in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    No that’s harvesting
    Yep. Totally legal and I have set jugs and trot lines as a kid but I gotta say I'm not a fan of it now. My biggest issue is how many "lost" jugs and abandoned trot lines people leave out on our lakes. Trashy and dangerous to wildlife and swimmers alike.

Trot line or jugging is not rod and reel. Records shouldn’t be used in the same category.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

19. Member
    About on par with FFS.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175
    Mercury 75 HP four stroke

20. Member
    No different than a set-line used for commercial fishing in my mind, so the answer would be No.

BP in ME, if by traps you are referring to a tip-up or another set line used while ice fishing, here you have to be within 200 feet of the line and it can't be left unattended.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast