1. Member
    We had 4 teams at work. 12 hour swing shift, all 6:00-6:30
    T,W days
    F,S,S night
    T,F Days
    M,T nights
    S,S,M days
    W,T nights

Worked every other weekend, basically off 14 out of 28 days. Worked it 30 years before I retired.
    Don't take life so seriously no one get's out alive

2. Member
    1st 8AM to 4pm
    2nd 4pm to 12am
    3rd 12am to 8AM
    We had a weekend crew that worked 12pm to 12am and 12am to 12pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday 36 hours and got paid for 40

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton bass View Post
    1st 8AM to 4pm
    2nd 4pm to 12am
    3rd 12am to 8AM
    We had a weekend crew that worked 12pm to 12am and 12am to 12pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday 36 hours and got paid for 40
    I retired last April but started working again part time, in February. It's not a money thing, just the way I'm wired. I work three days a week and yes, all three of those shifts in the same week. It took about a month to get used to, and forcing myself to go to sleep at different hours, but I like the job a lot, and isn't anywhere near as bad as it sounds.

4. Member
    Saturday-Friday dayshift. Of the weekend. Monday-Friday second shift. Off the weekend. Tuesday-Monday 3rd shift. Off the week. Go back on Saturday and start over. Weekends are 12hrs. Sundays are double time

edited to include: we don’t do vacation coverage. Allow up to 3 people off per day, on a 11 person team. Overtime is 99% voluntary. The 1% of overtime is maintenance days when we have a heavy load.
    Last edited by Savage33; 04-25-2024 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebait View Post
    You don’t work for Nucor Steel by chance, do you?
    No, ICL America Chemical. But the new Nucor plant is being built about 4 miles south of me. My plant is 3 miles north of me.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

6. Member
    12 Hour shifts one long week and one short week. I go in 4 hours late on Mondays to round it out to 80 hours. I love it. I only have to use 24 hours of vacation to get a week off. We are allowed shift trades too so I can switch days with people or swap weekends. Or...I can do cash trades and pay someone to show up for me.

Fri-Off
    Sat-Off
    Sun-Off
    Mon-Work
    Tue-Work
    Wed-Off
    Thurs-Off

Fri-Work
    Sat-Work
    Sun-Work
    Mon-Off
    Tue-Off
    Wed-Work
    Thurs-Work

7. Member
    I don't care what the pay is or how much I like the job, if we go to rotating days/nights, I'm immediately quitting.
    Last edited by JoshKeller; 04-25-2024 at 03:10 PM.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    I don't care what the pay is or how much I like the job, if we go to rotating days/nights, I'm immediately quitting.
    That’s how some guys at my plant feel. They want days only. That’s fine. They bid when the turn comes to Maintenance or the Shipping Department. When I started at my plant 30 years ago, it was 21 shift and didn’t want midnights either. Hated them actually. I had only worked days either on five 8’s or four 10’s. When 12 hr shifts came along two years later and we changed to them, I loved them. I wouldn’t go to straight days for anything. On midnights it’s quiet and you can do your job without some boss or engineer wanting 872 things at once. Only 14 days a month. 7 midnights, 7 days. Two of the days are on the weekend so it’s kind of like midnights without the company people there. The longbreak is the biggest bonus. Plus I like having the days off through the week every other week.

9. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    12 hour shifts 36 hours one week 48 the next. 5 to 5. The guys loved the time off
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Triton bass View Post
    1st 8AM to 4pm
    2nd 4pm to 12am
    3rd 12am to 8AM
    We did this one for a while at our plant. It was a fairly short (several months) surge thing which left our regular 5/24 schedule alone. We thought it would be tough to staff the weekends but people with small kids loved it. Huge savings not paying for daycare. It was like getting a huge raise.

11. Member
    Had a rotating 6 week schedule with a relief week (could end up working any shift to cover) and hated it.

Been doing the DuPont schedule for DuPont until 2019 and now for Dow until present day. 29 years total.... It's not bad at all... On a 28 day cycle you'll work 14 and off 14... 7 total days and 7 total nights for your 14 worked... That's all good until you run short staffed and log 500 OT hours like last year... Here's a sample for 2023.... A,B, C and D shifts.... No forced OT on holidays... If you're off you're off...
    Last edited by KellyJoe; 04-25-2024 at 07:30 PM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebait View Post
    You don’t work for Nucor Steel by chance, do you?
    Not trying to hi Jack your question, I worked for Nucor Steel in Decatur Al for 21 years as a mechanical maintenance technician. (Shift mechanic). Would probably still be there but wife and daughter wanted to go live on the beach in Gulf Shores. So I retired early and moved to the Bama gulf coast.

Worked in chemical plant,ran 24/7/365. Four teams, six days on, two off. Rotated shifts, midnight to 8, 4 - midnight, 8 - 4.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I don't know so that is why I'm asking and am by no means downing your job but is that not kind of a pain to keep up with and pretty chaotic on your family time and sleep patterns? Seems like it would hurt overall productivity.
    Again I'm just asking from a curious standpoint on the outside looking in.

For about 18 years of my fire career we were 24hrs on, 48hrs off until about 3 years ago. We went to 48hrs on and 96hrs off. One of the best things I've seen happen in the fire service. I initially was against it but now couldn't imagine going back to the old schedule.
    It is chaotic and sometimes OT is short notice. I am about 9 months into it. Sleep patterns are hard to come by. The 7 days off every month is a nice bonus but it comes at cost. It is factory work so it comes at you regardless, I do think mistakes are more common than normal day shift stuff.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    That’s how some guys at my plant feel. They want days only. That’s fine. They bid when the turn comes to Maintenance or the Shipping Department. When I started at my plant 30 years ago, it was 21 shift and didn’t want midnights either. Hated them actually. I had only worked days either on five 8’s or four 10’s. When 12 hr shifts came along two years later and we changed to them, I loved them. I wouldn’t go to straight days for anything. On midnights it’s quiet and you can do your job without some boss or engineer wanting 872 things at once. Only 14 days a month. 7 midnights, 7 days. Two of the days are on the weekend so it’s kind of like midnights without the company people there. The longbreak is the biggest bonus. Plus I like having the days off through the week every other week.
    I have enough issues sleeping at night. I do 4 10s 6a - 4p and it's the perfect shift for me. With two young kids, I value the consistent shift and the ability to have a babysitter more than the days off.

Luckily I work at a state water treatment plant and I haven't seen my direct boss in months. A few teams meetings and the occasional text is about all we see of management unless there's a big issue. And it's hard to be upset about putting 20 years in and getting a pension
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

17. Member
    I work 4 days on 4 days off. Then 4 nights on 4 off. Works out to 4 straight 48 hour checks. Followed by 4 36 hour checks.

18. Member
    Having workers rotate days to night is inhumane

Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    I have enough issues sleeping at night. I do 4 10s 6a - 4p and it's the perfect shift for me. With two young kids, I value the consistent shift and the ability to have a babysitter more than the days off.

Luckily I work at a state water treatment plant and I haven't seen my direct boss in months. A few teams meetings and the occasional text is about all we see of management unless there's a big issue. And it's hard to be upset about putting 20 years in and getting a pension
    I do understand the sleep issue. I have the same issues and that was even before shift work. But I understand your situation and can see why you like the days. Four 10’s is nice. Worked them for a few years.

20. Member
    I'm retired now but I have worked:
    8 hour shift on 2nd 7 days a week-factory
    4 12 hour shifts on , 4 days off 7am-7-pm and had to cover off days crew vacation-factory
    4 10 hour shifts Monday-Thursday + 8 hour shift on Friday and sometimes Saturday on second shift-factory
    8 hour shift Monday-Friday and occasional Saturday-factory
    50 hour minimum salary schedule with 2 days off during the week with only 1 weekend off every 6 weeks-retail management
    5 10 hour shifts and some Saturday 8 hour shifts-factory
    5 8 hour shifts with voluntary Saturday shift and occasional 10 hour shifts during the week on 2nd shift- factory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast