New prop hard to turn by hand

2024 mercury 115 pro XS serial 3B492277.

Hello, I fish some lakes that are 7500 feet, this requires me to switch my prop from a 17 to a 15 pitch when I go to these lakes. I am having an issue with a brand new black max prop I purchased. When I put it on and tighten down the prop nut to spec it’s hard to turn by hand. I have checked my thrust washer, I have tried a brand new hub kit, it spins pretty freely until I tighten down the nut. Everything seems to be fine except it’s hard to turn by hand. The 17 pitch for low elevation turns just fine by hand. Is this just some paint or something on the prop rubbing? Do I just need to run it to wear it in? This is my 4th boat and I’ve never had this issue before. Thanks!

2. Member
    Post your S/N and what hub you are using, that may help w/ diagnosing
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    Motor serial is posted above, hub kit is a Flo-torq ll. I will also add that it fells sorta like the prop is rubbing around the bore sleeve on the lower…

Quote Originally Posted by coloblt View Post
    Motor serial is posted above, hub kit is a Flo-torq ll. I will also add that it fells sorta like the prop is rubbing around the bore sleeve on the lower…
    Wouldn't be the first.
    Do a good visual of both surfaces and look for rub marks or shiny spots.
    Might try indexing the prop.

5. Member
    Something to try, if your hub is the square type, pull it out and rotate a quarter or half turn. I've had the exact problem on my HD hub swapping props. Rotating the hub fixes it.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkertx3 View Post
    Something to try, if your hub is the square type, pull it out and rotate a quarter or half turn. I've had the exact problem on my HD hub swapping props. Rotating the hub fixes it.
    ^^^^ Try this. Also look at the gearcase end of the prop to see if there is evidence of "where" it's rubbing. The protective wear sleeve and the prop should NOT contact under normal circumstances.

If trying the above recommendation does not resolve this, I would get the prop back to the selling dealer as it's likely the problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor