Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I'm ignorant about those bikes, do they come to the dealer in a crate or fully assembled?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    Used, used, did I mention used????
    Yeah but if you can swing a new one?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Altro Cat View Post
    Dealers make between 100 to 200 dollars if they sell it at msrp plus destination charge hence the fees. Just looking at Hondas website they charge 300 destination so you are at 3799 before taxes.
    Exactly. Plus they have to pay the labor for someone to assemble it. The dealer charging 4200 isn't that crazy imo.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    I'm ignorant about those bikes, do they come to the dealer in a crate or fully assembled?
    The come in a crate mostly assembled but there is still work by a mechanic to set it up.

5. Member
    While I’ve owned a bunch of boats in my life, until recently, I had never bought a brand new boat. I did so in March and was shocked/amazed/pissed at all of the additional costs. Shipping, prep, rigging, destination, etc. It’s flat robbery.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    100% truth in advertising there……. I had one of these and it’s 100% true.
    Last edited by jb882; 04-29-2024 at 10:56 AM.

7. Member
    I just bought a new Honda 520 foreman at the beginning of the month, been years since I bought a bike and was also shocked about how much more they was then the good ole boy days but after doing some research most dealers in my area was pretty close to same price so I went with my local dealer and the bike was sold to me about $800 under msrp but by the time TTL added it was $1500 more then the price of the bike , but I looked at it this way I either buy this, buy used, or sit home with nothing to ride around the property on and dwell over it, we’ll I was tired of walking around out there so here I am, I have a young daughter (5) and she was all smiles when I pulled up with it so to me it didn’t matter the money at that point, you only get them moments once and now all I hear is can we go ride the four wheeler out at the barn .

8. Member
    Assembly and Delivery fees have always seemed BS to me. They are in the business of selling motorcycles. Assembly and delivery to the store selling them are part of the cost of doing business. Same with car dealers.

“I called”….of course they are going to give tire kickers the highest price. If I had a dollar for every call I got when selling boats.

I know this because I’m the worlds worst tire kicker.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    I just bought a new Honda 520 foreman at the beginning of the month, been years since I bought a bike and was also shocked about how much more they was then the good ole boy days but after doing some research most dealers in my area was pretty close to same price so I went with my local dealer and the bike was sold to me about $800 under msrp but by the time TTL added it was $1500 more then the price of the bike , but I looked at it this way I either buy this, buy used, or sit home with nothing to ride around the property on and dwell over it, we’ll I was tired of walking around out there so here I am, I have a young daughter (5) and she was all smiles when I pulled up with it so to me it didn’t matter the money at that point, you only get them moments once and now all I hear is can we go ride the four wheeler out at the barn .
    You'll love the Foreman!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
    That is a very solid reason to stay away from used.

Flip side is if the kid really wants one and it does need some love I would think ( caveate, I don’t have kids) it would be a great way to teach mechanical skills and ingenuity. My dad was generous enough to buy me a CT70 for my 13th birthday. When I floated a valve and roached the piston and cylinder it was up to me to earn the money to buy the parts and rebuild it. IMHO, at least for me, that was a valuable lesson.
    Man I rode the wheels off a trail 70 back in the day, about 1978. That thing was a tank, never let me down. We had about 3 or four in our neighborhood. Last new mini I bought for my daughter in about 2005. Was just pricing one for the grandkids, and YES they have gotten expensive.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
    That is a very solid reason to stay away from used.
    My Kids went thru:

Suzuki jr 50
    Yamaha PW 80
    Some Knock off Chinese 100
    Honda CRF 100
    KDX200

Chinese Knock off 50 4 wheeler
    Polaris 80 ATV
    &
    a Kawasaki Bayou 250 ATV

All purchased used and all got my my money and or more than what I paid with no issues but you buy new if you want!

Most will get used very very very few hours and are pretty bulletproof.
    Last edited by LateralLine; 04-29-2024 at 01:50 PM.
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    That is a ridiculous mark up for an MSRP of 3499. Sounds like the dealer doesn't want to move any inventory.
    Sounds like there's plenty of people out there paying it and the dealer is raking it in while he can

14. Member
    Our Honda dealer says 3499 plus 200 destination ,and then normal stuff tax and all

15. Member
    Just buy used. Most will have low hrs on them. The clapped ones are easy to spot, just keep looking. Dirt bikes are also super easy to work on so repairs won't be difficult or very expensive.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Called the closest Honda dealer. Asked for out-the-door total price on a CFR125F. Retail is $3499. He called back pretty quickly with $5184. I asked him to explain and first thing he said was $900 prep/assembly, 300 destination yada yada.

I declined.

Called the next closest. $4392.

Can hardly believe the add-on costs. Maybe we don’t really need one.

Those guys won’t last long charging prep fees like that. Couldn’t imagine prep and setup cost for bigger bike or a utv from them. A crf 125 in the crate only needs handle bars put on, front wheel and front fender and filled with oil. I built bikes from the crates for years and that’s when they came with more loose parts than nowadays. Still was a quick easy build.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    Those guys won’t last long charging prep fees like that. Couldn’t imagine prep and setup cost for bigger bike or a utv from them. A crf 125 in the crate only needs handle bars put on, front wheel and front fender and filled with oil. I built bikes from the crates for years and that’s when they came with more loose parts than nowadays. Still was a quick easy build.
    Receipt from my 2021 Honda Talon 1000R Live Valve

20240429_194051.jpg

I'd say shop around. Bought my son a Polaris 110 4-wheeler a couple years ago (we all know what was going on then). Went to the local dealer and was quoted $3399, so I said I'll take it. When he handed me the invoice my jaw about hit the floor. The OTD price was $4500. It was all kinds of fee's, prep, setup, shipping, assembly, etc. I pointed out that some of these fee's were for the exact same thing, his reply was "that's what it takes" so I pretty much told him where to stick the invoice. Walked right outside and called another dealer and asked for the cash OTD price on one. He said if you buy it today $3499. So I drove one hour over to the next town and bought it. The guy at that dealer laughed when I told him what the other place was charging and said "yeah their known for that".
    USMC Vet!

Call around and find a left over 2023, talk to them some and they can wiggle on the price. I just picked up a 2023 Husqvarna 701 enduro that be $15k out the door for $11,700. There are plenty of those bikes used that are lightly rode and at a good price.

20. Member
    Dean, I went in the kicked tires yesterday. I look good on a Navi and Grom.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast