Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    IMMEDIATELY IF NOT SOONER! I had one blow the tread cap. It caught the bottom of the rear of the stainless fender bend the fender. It broke the brace weld on the trailer main frame and ruined the fender. Tires have a date code on them. As already said, if cracked, replace.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

2. Member
    I do not think my trailer tires have 100 miles on them in 5 years, less than two miles from inside storage to the ramp at 30MPH or less. I will replace if taken on any trip.

No to get this side tracked but I just want to remind people that if you have a lock on your spare trailer tire to unlock and lubricate it at least once a year. I learned my lesson the hard way buy having to call someone out and pay a service call to cut off a lock. It was rusted so tight it was like it was welded. I tried to break it lose but no dice. Bolt cutters was the only thing opening the lock. While at it check the condition of your spare. Mine made it home but I got to thinking the spare has 0 miles but it’s probably 10 years old. I ended up get new trailer tires and a new spare. I typically check tire pressure in my spare as part of my spring maintenance and now I unlock and oil the lock.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    No to get this side tracked but I just want to remind people that if you have a lock on your spare trailer tire to unlock and lubricate it at least once a year. I learned my lesson the hard way buy having to call someone out and pay a service call to cut off a lock. It was rusted so tight it was like it was welded. I tried to break it lose but no dice. Bolt cutters was the only thing opening the lock. While at it check the condition of your spare. Mine made it home but I got to thinking the spare has 0 miles but it’s probably 10 years old. I ended up get new trailer tires and a new spare. I typically check tire pressure in my spare as part of my spring maintenance and now I unlock and oil the lock.
    Good reminder. Does the 5 year rule apply to spares as well?
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv/LVS34
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

5. Member
    Replace immediately!

6. Member
    Replace

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultz View Post
    Replace immediately!
    Agreed. And stay away from Goodyear trailer tires. I've had nothing but bad luck from them.
    John

8. Member
    Thank you for asking this. I should probably take a close look at my trailer tires to make sure they don't have anything sketchy going on. It's a good reminder to all of us.

9. Member
    My Goodyear Endurance tires are about 7 years old.! Take a 2k mile trip every spring.! Boat is kept in the garage and tires aren’t exposed to too much sun.! And I’m convinced, the sun is the biggest threat to the life of tires.! But before you condem me on age, I just got new rims and tires are on the way.! And yes I’m a max fill on air kinda guy.! Always have been.!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    Personally, I always rotate the spare to the "best" looking tire that I'm taking off. So I'm only buying four tires at time and swapping the spare out every couple years. Some may say that's not the way to do it but I'll gamble on that spare getting me to where I need to be to save the coin. Worst case scenario is the spare blows too and I chain up one side of the axle and hobble home on 3 wheels. That case is very unlikely IMO.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter View Post
    My Goodyear Endurance tires are about 7 years old.! Take a 2k mile trip every spring.! Boat is kept in the garage and tires aren’t exposed to too much sun.! And I’m convinced, the sun is the biggest threat to the life of tires.! But before you condem me on age, I just got new rims and tires are on the way.! And yes I’m a max fill on air kinda guy.! Always have been.!
    Mine also but I inflate to the weight carried and keep them out of the sun as best I can. They are exposed for 3 to 4 months in Canada but that is about it. We will see how far they will go. Any signs of cracking or belt issues they will be replaced and the best one will replace the 22 year old spare! CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Yes, 5 years on tires can be replacement time.

Now on the other hand depends on a few things. As long as they look okay then keep going but they should be checked closely.

My point on my snow dog 4Runner I have summer and winter tires and wheels. The winter tires never see much heat and if they pass inspection going off and on then I will run them. Same with the summer tires. This veh. will never be all that far from home any longer. That being said I never ever run them low on pressure. They get checked at least once a month.

But if tires show any abnormal problems they get replaced which can SUCK on a 4X4 when they need to be the same size and wear around. In a lot of cases you can't just replace 1 tire unless they aren't very old. On a trailer just one is okay then it will become a good spare when the other 3 are in need of change.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

WoW Al..... I'm a little surprised at those tires, they're not that old. No reason for them to start splitting like that. I'm keeping an eye on mine but if that happens I will not be replacing with Goodyears

14. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Car/truck tires should also be replaced every 5/6 years regardless of tread life.
    Truck tires every 4 years for me and trailer tires at 5 years max even if trailer tires still look new. In 2.5 years I'm pulling my boat to the tire shop and having 6 (maybe 7 since I threw on an older trailer spare) tires replaced.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    Yes, tires dry rot!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

16. Member
    I would take those wheels and tires off and have the tires replaced imediately, don't forget your spare too !

17. Member
    Were you running them under inflated?

Replace now.

2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12