Thread: Nitro Z6/482?

Nitro Z6/482?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a 2006-2008, 482/Z6 with 115hp optimax.

I would like to hear from owners of these boats about the Pros & cons of these models.

I have read that they do pull to one side coming out of the hole but can be controlled with trim?

This is going to be my first bass boat so i make sure i get as much information i can..

Cheers..

2. Member
    I had an 08 w/ 115. It was my first fiberglass bass boat and we really liked the boat. It fished good, was stable and plenty of storage for a boat of its size.

The lean on my Z6 was not controllable with any trim settings, motor height adjustment, prop change or load re-arrangement. The lean was a result of that specific hull with that specific lower unit, they just don't complement each other at slow speeds. I'm on a busy and rough lake so going slow on a plane was important to me and the lean was a real pain. If you run on smoother water that you can speed up and trim up then it levels out and is fine.
    Mercury 200hp V6 DTS #2B590854

3. Member
    Mine was the 2008 model, take my advice, look at another boat. Tracker traded me out of mine. The newly redesigned X5 that turned into the Z6 is a better option. A friend has the 482 with the 150 and is a good boat.

Jimmy Easterling
    Barnwell, SC

2009 Nitro Z7, Dual Concole, 200 Optimax, 25P Fury, 5.5\" Jackplate and 2\" Spacers.

I have a 06 482 with a 115 opti and I love the boat. Don't have any complaints.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

5. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    I've got an '07 w/115 Opti and it's been a really good little rig.

Never had any of the "leaning" or "pulling" issues experienced by others, whether during holeshot or at speed... I can turn loose of the wheel at WOT (and no, I don't make this a regular practice) and it tracks great.

It will run 52-53 with just me, <10 gal of fuel and all the crap I normally carry. It definitely fishes bigger than a boat that's only 17'9".

Here's a video of one that's obviously well set up with a 150 (although the wake-jumping isn't too bright)...

Have an 07 with a 135, only complaint is slow holeshot with full live wells and 2 people.

7. Member
    had an 06 482 with 150 optimax, like someone said it fishes much bigger than a 17'9" boat. I added a jackplate and it really helped with then lean problem. Only did it at very low speeds with the motor trimed down all the way, just a little trim and it would straighten up

Give me a call Simon. I'll help steer you into the right direction .......... It'll be nitro all the way of course lol
    Joe Allan
    Nitro Z7 Mercury Optimax 150hp Lowrance Ghost Simrad NSS Evo 3s
    Proudly Supported by: Gamakatsu/Majorcraft/Fuji/Kershaw/Samurai/Atomic

I got a 2007 482 with a 150 Opti and the only thing I would want is a bigger cooler. Rest of the boat is awesome!

2007 Nitro 482 150HP Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Jordan View Post
    Have an 07 with a 135, only complaint is slow holeshot with full live wells and 2 people.
    Brent, Did you ever think about getting a jackplate for your boat. My holeshot is real quick and acceleration is as well. About the only difference between our two boats is the JP.

To the OP, get the 482 so you can get a 135 or 150 Optimax. A big step up in performance. If the budget is too tight for that, at least get a 115 on this sized boat.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by MakhuluBass View Post
    I got a 2007 482 with a 150 Opti and the only thing I would want is a bigger cooler. Rest of the boat is awesome!
    Mine a 2008 with the 150 pro xs and the bigger cooler is all that is wrong with mine too.

I bring a cooler and put it under the console. I use the cooler it came with for my scale,cull tags and extra pliers and such.
    Anthrax

Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    I bring a cooler and put it under the console. I use the cooler it came with for my scale,cull tags and extra pliers and such.
    With my hotfoot and size 13 feet, there is just no room for a cooler down there

I don't have a hot foot. What I do is I just put it on the floor between passenger and myself while driving the merc then when I stop to fish I just slide it under the console out of the way.
    I fish sun up to sun down so I bring lots to drink and lunch of course.
    Anthrax

15. Member
    As I sit patiently and wait to take delivery on my 2013 Z6... Can someone tell me about the rod lockers? Nitro's site says a 7 foot rod will fit... Does this mean by 7'1" rod won't fit without bending?? And I am assuming this measurement is for the center rod locker. What about the side lockers? Thanks in advance.
    Collins Boating Pro Staff - Smithfield, North Carolina
    JeffreyDavisFishing.com
    | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | NC Bass Challenge

If it is similar to my older NX750, I have several 7'6" rods and they all fit in the port rod locker with room to spare. I could probably get an 8 footer in there.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Thanks for the replies guys it's helped me aheap..

I'll let you all know when it lands..

Cheers.

18. Member
    I have a 2006 Nitro 482 with a Mercury 115 and it is fantastic...to ride in and fish out of. It will run 54MPH with just me in it which is plenty fast for me.
    It is a little slow coming out of the hole, and as someone pointed out, mine also kinda leans to one side until I get up on plane, but that doesn't bother me.
    Mine had 62 hrs on it when I bought it 2 1/2 yrs ago and it is like brand new. I have friends that have Z6, Z7, and 175 Tracker, and they are all three still paying on theirs and mine was paid for in full at $9500 for a 6 yr old "new" boat.
    We have fished many tournaments in mine and caught lots of fish over 4 lbs (caught 3 6lbers last Friday). I fish mostly Lake Austin and surrounding lakes within 60 min of Austin.

esIMG_1824.jpg IMG_1531.jpg IMG_1536.jpg IMG_1541 (2).jpg

I landed a 2006 dc 482 with 135hp optimax last year with 22.7 hours on it. I love the boat so easy to fish from & suits me fine. The issue with the lean is there but you can fix it with moving weight around & using the trim.
    Nitro 482 w/ 135hp Optimax SN:1B309121
    - 80lb MK riptide ipilot
    - Lowrance Hds5, Touch 9 gen2 & Touch 9 gen3

Barrabass Tournament Rods

20. Member
    Does having the 150 help with lean, compared with having a smaller motor? can the lean be fixed with a jack plate or a stingray spoiler on the outboard? i am looking at buying one. I currently own a nice Nitro185 sport. I love the boat, but want something that fishes better.
    Thanks guys!