Top end in ZX200

I just purchased a 2008 Skeeter ZX200 from a local dealer. The boat has a 200 HPDI with only 426 hours on it. Boat is in incredible shape. I have gone through the engine and changed all fuel filters except for the mystery filters. All the old filters still looked really good. Everything was clean. I also replaced the spark plugs and adjusted the jack plate to factory setting. The previous owner has really lowered it and it was only turning about 5200 rpm. It now turns 5700 but all I am getting is 54 mph. I was running 54 with the jack plate lowered. I keep reading these boats should run mid 60s. I’m getting ready to check the spark on each cylinder and pull the prop to make sure no fishing line is on the prop shaft. I have seen other people have top speed issues, but I have done everything that was recommended. I don’t see the mystery filters being an issue especially with all the documentation I got with the boat and seeing how good the filters looked. Any ideas or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. I am also running ring free in the tank and made sure the fuel tanks are venting. Other than top speed in the 50s the motor runs great! Has the original 25 pitch prop on it. Edges of the prop are a little rough but I’m not sure that would cost me 10 mph. Not understanding how the engine can gain 500 rpm’s and not really increase speed.

2. Member
    I ran a 2002 just like that until 2020. Never any problems. Best I ever got, flogging the snot out of it, was 68 GPS. Ran low-mid 60's consistently heavy loaded. I assume you have the 3 liter 200. The 2.6 was a little low on torque, but flew once it got it up. 25 - T1 prop. It was weight sensitive. Real doggy getting out the hole heavy.

I'd try going higher with motor until I lost water pressure or blew out the prop.

Those old Skeeters loved to run bow high so don't be afraid to trim up. My trim indicator always gave me problems, so I trimmed by tach and ear.

Check to make sure the throttle is opening completely. I ran mine hard for 18 years and never changed the "mystery" filters. Never changed the others except the fuel/water separator either. You might check that if you haven't.

Take a file and clean up the prop. Won't hurt anything.

3. Member
    Sounds like the prop needs to be repaired. Might not look bad, but definitely is if that's all you're getting out of it. I have the same boat and run a worked 25 Tempest and can easily hit 67 by myself.

By 'factory setting' on the jack plate, I assume you mean 7 dots showing? If so, raise it up to 9 and run it again. And trim it all the way up.

4. Member
    Yeah I am running 7 dots on the jack plate. I will try 9. I’m thinking the prop could be the issue. Previous owner lowered it to 3 dots on the jack plate.

5. Member
    Dots don't mean anything other than a reference for you in adjusting. The motor could be mounted anywhere on the JP, or the JP anywhere on the transom.

Raise it a 1/4 or a 1/2 and try it out. Depending on what happens, work up or down from there. If the motor is running full throttle, sooner or later you'll blow out. Then you can start back down.

Rick Pierce has a nice video on how to drive to get maximum speed out of a high performance boat. I learned a lot.

I'd sweet talk my dealer into letting me borrow a known good prop.

6. Member
    yep. have the prop re pitched, they slowly will lose 1-2 pitch numbers with age, youll be amazed. that and raise plate.

7. Member
    I`m in a 2005 TZX200 had anOX66 200hp for 19 yrs it ran 68 69 with 2 people regularly with a 26 Tempest. I just replaced the engine with an SHO 200 and could not turn the 26 Tempest so I bought a 24 Tempest and yesterday touched 72 by myself turning 5900 and trimmed 80% . So yea you have some adjusting to do. Good luck!

I had a 2010 with the stock prop. At sea level it would run 65 full of fuel. At 3000ft elevation it would hit 62 on occasion. I don’t remember the RPM numbers.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s with Blue tooth for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger, Minn Kota Quest TM.