Thread: Student debt?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Personally I think all student loans and loans for trade schools should be interest free.
    So, basically ensuring that the Government is the only game in town? Sounds great.
    ________
    $100

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    This is how it should be, serve and we will pay up to certain amount of ur student loan. GI Bill been in place a along time, think it requires u to serve first though. I'm ok with that, not sure if everyone else is.

I don't like loan forgiveness for everyone, goes against capitalism. So many of us made better decisions or just paid our debts. What is happening today is not PSLF, in fact that is what they tried to sell it as an extension of. The Supreme court knocked this down. They say its illegal, but yet it continues. this is not how are government should work, nor was it designed to work this way.

You enter into an agreement you should honor the agreement.
    Agreed, and. Uncle Sam did away with the GI Bill for my generation of veterans. It’s a recruiting tool…period! We had a program called VEAP where you paid in 100 a month for college your first 12 months of enlistment. Seems like I made 500 a month back then minus taxes. When you fished doing your time (note how much veteran terminology mimics our prison system) Uncle Sam kicked in double or 2400 dollars to give you a total of 3,600.00 for college. What a joke that was! Most, including em did not participate. My 18th or 19th year serving Uncle Sam gave me a one time chance to pay 1,200.00 for the then 12,000.00 GI Bill. In retrospect not paying cost me 12,000.00. Not knowing about VA Benefits costs me another 250,000 ish dollars. No biggie I worked my way through the education I needed to succeed with no loans. I was LUCKY that I separated at the end of 1999 just in time for the IT boom. But, I 100% understand not everyone is cut out for the military, less than 20% of those who join make it a career. Only about 7% of America has ever worn the uniform.

The government should have left loans to banks!

3. Member
    If you take out ANY type of loan, you should pay it back yourself.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    So, basically ensuring that the Government is the only game in town? Sounds great.
    Thats is the big plan. Control education, healthcare, cradle to grave. When will people learn the government is NOT your savior? Americans are Frogger too isolated listening to Fox and CNN. We are as divided as I have ever seen.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    You mean like the website mandated by the Feds to receive federal aid?

https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/

How much do you figure it costs each college in America to publish these IPEDS numbers? I know each college of ________ at every university has staff of full time employees keeping track of these and a host of other mandated regulations. Don’t forget,they also have to report it at the local, county, and state levels.
    How many of these 18 yo kids do you think are reading and digesting all of this information? My point is that someone, whether parents or counselors, etc. needs to work with the students to make certain they understand what they are getting into, and that isn't happening. The schools are in business to sell degrees and make money - when my older son attended Penn State we had to attend an orientation class where the instructor told the group that they actually encourage students to explore different majors because it really doesn't matter if you graduate in 4 years, or 5 or 6 years in order to get the right degree. While that may sound good on the surface, they left out the part about how much more it would cost for each semester. I was astounded at the fact that they offered well over 200 different degree programs - I can't think of 200 different professions so you know that many of these degrees are frivolous bullshit that will never land you a job. Most 18 yo kids are vulnerable and they don't always make good decisions, sometimes the parents aren't very smart either, so someone has to try and help them make better decisions. That could help to prevent a lot of these problems before they get started. Once you sign on the dotted line it's your problem.

6. Member
    Pay your own. I am not your mentor.

7. Member
    The status quo for several decades has been you won't amount to much if you don't have a college degree. At first that was correct, now the market is so watered down with degrees, that the jobs aren't paying good enough for what that degree cost. Like Mike Rowe has stated, this is why the trades are so short on workers. The ROI on higher education just isn't want it used to be. That is a big reason many can't afford their student loans.

8. Member
    Personally I think all student loans and loans for trade schools should be interest free.
    Why? Who gets Free Money? Pay for interest Free Drop Outs?
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

9. Member
    For many like myself, it was not forgiveness, but promised much like college $$ for soldiers. I was incentivized to work in a lower performing school district by having my Public Loans forgiven after 10 years of service while paying my loans in the process. For teachers in my situation, it was owed to us years ago and lenders never honored it until recently. No one questions GI bill, but cancelling out my loan that government promised me MANY years ago and everyone goes nuts. It is the reason I chose to work where I work initially.
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    No loan forgiveness for anyone….period.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny8906 View Post
    The status quo for several decades has been you won't amount to much if you don't have a college degree. At first that was correct, now the market is so watered down with degrees, that the jobs aren't paying good enough for what that degree cost. Like Mike Rowe has stated, this is why the trades are so short on workers. The ROI on higher education just isn't want it used to be. That is a big reason many can't afford their student loans.
    You are correct because they have expanded the curriculum at many schools to include all kinds of worthless degrees. Many of these bullshit degrees are in very limited fields with no real job opportunities. My younger son went to school with a kid who got a degree in "sacred music" - what kind of job does that lead to?

11. Member
    ….or, instead of mandating tax payers to pay for others college degrees we could cap the cost of a 4 year degree at schools that receive government money…

12. Moderator
    I would rather see regular Americans get student loan payoff than corporate welfare in the form of bailouts or subsidies.

13. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LE-21KJUN View Post
    It's not the government's fault if you got a degree to look at pictures for a living that doesn't pay very well. What's the difference in getting a loan for a vehicle that you use for work. Should that be forgiven as well? I disagree with the student loan forgiveness... And I'm still paying on my wife's loans from the mid-90s.

Work vehicles are written off come tax time. Hell, you can write off the square footage of a room in your house if you use it for work.
    Thanos was the hero

14. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Great!

Will you loan me $50,000?….I want to go to trade school.

I think it's a great idea for my tax dollars to go to teach people the trades. It's better for society. And those tradesman make alot of money and pay alot more in taxes than the Walmart cashier or illegal immigrant who does the work. In fact, I look at it as the tradesman gets a tax cut by not having to pay interest on those loans. And I say forgive them after 10 years of fulltime employment and payments. Give the working man a real tax cut, and now he can afford a nicer house, a nicer truck, a nicer boat spurring more economic growth.

I would rather have a society full of well qualified, educated workers do the work we need instead of a society full of debt laiden low skilled workers and nobody to fix my roof or fix the electrical except for some immigrants who just got here.
    Thanos was the hero

15. Member
    Work vehicles are written off come tax time. Hell, you can write off the square footage of a room in your house if you use it for work.
    Think he is speaking of the average Joe that has to buy a vehicle to get to work. Not a company vehicle. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s how I read it.

16. Member

17. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuck Grass View Post
    Think he is speaking of the average Joe that has to buy a vehicle to get to work. Not a company vehicle. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s how I read it.

I don't know if you still can but you used to be able to write off the mileage every year, even the cost of work clothing if all your deductions added up to be above the standard deduction.
    Thanos was the hero

18. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post

I think it already is for student loans
    Thanos was the hero

19. Member
    I think it already is for student loans
    Nah.
    ________
    $100

20. Member
    Can you provide an example of the govt forgiving a student loan beacause someone majored in a low employment field?
    There may be examples out there [I’m not going to look them up], but isn’t it the same thing when someone majors in a low employment field, racks up 6 figures in loan debt, can’t get a job, then their debt is forgiven due to financial hardship? It can be claimed that financial hardship isn’t a forgiveness criterion, but we all know that’s a driving force behind the whole forgiveness fiasco.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast