Pro XS shift lever broken

200 Pro XS S/N 2B530777

My buddy fell onto my shift lever (DTS panel mount) while stopped with motor off and pushed it all the way down to full forward throttle. Now it is difficult to move in forward and reverse and has no neutral detent. I can shift into forward and reverse without pressing the button. Motor runs fine. How do I figure out what is broken and hopefully not need to replace entire assemblies? Appreciate any help. Figured I'd ask what to look for before I screw things up trying to look for the problem.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    First step will be to remove the handle and inspect. In many cases, a replacement control is the safest option (though some parts are available for them).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I found what was broken. On the handle the metal piece that holds neutral unless the button is pressed (below the spring connected to the shift button) is broken, as is the plastic shroud that holds it in. The only part I can find in the catalog is the entire handle assembly 892985A04. Are any of these smaller parts available?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No sir- it appears the handle assembly is the only option for the Gen1 DTS Panel Mount.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Would it be nuts to jb weld the metal part back together?

6. Member
    I don't know about your job but I have been impressed with JB Weld several times with things I have done with it. Just make sure it has proper dry time.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by setsail26 View Post
    Would it be nuts to jb weld the metal part back together?
    Since it's actually a safety related item (Shift, Trim and Stop-Start signals involved) I would not recommend it. I would strongly encourage you to NOT take the risk for yourself, others around you, or anyone that might potentially be in the path of your boat. JMHO...