Thread: Ultrex trouble

Ultrex trouble

I've got one of the original ultrex, 24v 80lb. Replaced a few things over the years, but today I had been on a spot for a couple hours, no problems. Batteries are getting weak. 4th year on a set of lead acid ones. Pulled the trolling motor and moved, when I put it back in the water, prop won't turn. Left right, lights, spotlock, north, all work, just no prop turn. I came in and got the batteries back to about 75%, no change. From what I've read, it can only be 2 things, water Intrusion or the circuit board. Is there anything else to check before ordering a board? The motor had no water inside.

2. Member
    could it be the momemtum switch
    2010 FX Skeeter

3. Member
    Is it possible for this to be a battery issue? After charging overnight it's working again. Before when the batteries were liw, I had everything except prop spin.

4. Member
    I thought that too...but when it would spotlock, give lights and move the trolling motor back and forth, just no prop spin. I know my batteries are near the end, replacing today. Is it possible with the ultrex for low voltage to allow everything to work except the prop?

5. Member
    Have you ever changed the brushes, cleaned the armature or checked for water in the motor? those are all possibility's. If it has not been opened up it could be all of these things. Or as stated one or more of the foot pedal switches. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    Im not a ultrex pro or what ever but just trying to help but if the batteries dont help maybe try to take the prop off and check to see if that little pin is there or maybe some line in there
    2010 FX Skeeter

7. Member
    Took the motor apart first yesterday. No water. Probably will be now...I need to put a set of seals in it now i've opened the motor up.

8. Member
    There's 1 service center left here. Got him on the phone, the problem is voltage. Evidently the motor on an ultrex won't start if your voltage drops below 20v. I'll have a set of lithium batteries in the next couple days.