Question 2004 Ranger 185VX motor upgrade recommendations

Purchased a used Ranger 185VX with dual console and Mercury 150 EFI engine. Was thinking about repowering it or buying a 175HP (Recommended by Ranger) Outboard. Not sure what others thinks about doing this. What Make and Model? Mercury has the XPS , Yamaha ShO and Suzuki and I am sure others.. My 150 runs good just thinking about it...

Value your comments and opinions. I also need to purchase a new torsion axle as it is cracked. And guess will order from Ranger.... Solid boat and look forward to using it.

Robert
    Austin, Texas

2. Member
    I've got a 188 with 175 HPDI, glad it has it over the 150 although I'm sure power differences are marginal. You have Mercury controls so it may be a little cheaper to stick with a Merc unless your controls aren't compatible but the 175 ProXS is a 3.4 V6 vs the 150 ProXS 3.0 inline 4 cylinder. Suzuki would be a great choice but it probably won't have the power of the Mercury or Yamaha and getting the right prop could also be an issue.

3. Member
    That Mercury 150 EFI is a very good engine, however if you do repower go Yamaha SHO for sure, get the 175 or even the 150 and you can flash it to a 230hp. More reliable, better performance and quality control than a Mercury.