Thread: Garage Help????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garage Help????

Alright I am in the prelimanary stages of building a 3 car garage. It will be attached by a breezeway to our home. So far I am looking at a 42X32 3 car garage with trusses so we will have storage space above. I will be using it to store by boat and my wife a daughter a parking space. I plan to put a trough drain in the rear as well as add windows to 2 sides of it. Help me out guys on what I am missing. My home is a farmhouse style home and we will be adding a dormer above each garage door to match the house. Thanks for any helpful tips you guys might can throw my way.
    2020 Caymas CX20

2. Member
    Make sure the opening for the boat is extra wide.
    Hi Mike.

3. Member
    Install windows higher up so you get sunlight but nobody can look in, run water, many electrical plugs, switches and exterior lights controlled from the house, gas to heat it. Lots of LED lighting and maybe a ceiling fan where to want to park the boat to help dry it out.

4. Member
    Garage door(s) height sufficient for raptors/power poles to pass under easily.
    Power outlet above boat to support placement of fan
    I have a 24x32 garage. There's not a lot of room left to walk in front/behind the ZXR21 when parked in the garage. You don't want to be moving the tongue or engine, etc. Just back in and unhook.
    Sufficient driveway/concrete for easy backing into the garage.

5. Member
    room for tool boxes and tackle storage. extra space for a sofa and a tv. maybe even a wood stove. just go all out!

6. Member
    An overhead dropdown receptacle over each bay for charger. No drop cords to trip over. Thank me later.

7. Member
    Have a garage of similar size with a small room built into the corner. No windows but garage doors are 8' high vice 7' which clears my 8' Power Poles. Wish there were a few more outlets in the garage portion but it suffices. Please check local laws for 'drains'. I always have a a puddle under the boat when done fishing.

8. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    An overhead dropdown receptacle over each bay for charger. No drop cords to trip over. Thank me later.
    Yep!!

9. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    How big is your boat?

Lights and outlets. You can never have too much.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

11. Member
    My garage is almost identical. 10ft doors x3. 2 windows and one door. Lots of 110v outlets. Things I wish I had done 1) drain in floor, 2) heat at a min. Winter time hard to get motivated when it's cold. I wish the door where I park the boat was 12ft. Ensure they put the seal at the center of the roof so the rain / snow doesn't blow in. I put a 30amp outlet outside for RV

12. Member
    Add 8-10ft in each direction...i wish i did i mine is 42x50...
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

13. Member
    Mine is 30x50’.

More outlets than you think you need
    Drinking fountain
    Bathroom
    Insulate ceiling, walls and garage doors
    Garage door openers
    HVAC
    Something really nice for the wife since she is letting you do this! (Probably should have said this first)

14. Member
    10 foot ceiling and 9 foot high doors. Plenty of LED canister lights.

Corner for the beer fridge!!! And small counter top for your food
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

16. Member
    I put 2- 12’ wide doors on my garage, framer tried to change them to 10’. Said “he’s never seen 12’ doors on a garage” and then I said, “well you will now, I don’t want 10’”. No way I’d go back to 10’, unless i didn’t have the room.

A shower or at least a wash basin and a toilet so you can clean up from working in the garage before yoiu go in the house.

Mine is 48X30, wanted 48X40 but couldn't get enough hill cut for that. AnyhowI have 2 10' high by 12' wide garage doors. Boat in one and wife's car in the other. I have a bathroom with shower and room for hunting and fishing stuff. On the end I have a 12' x 30' lean to that right now is acting as a workshop. I spray foamed my walls and batt insulated the rest. There is a 48'x14' room upstairs that we made into a man cave/hunting qtrs for buddies that hunt here. It has a bedroom with a full and a set of bunks, and bathroom, and then the living room with TV couch and loveseat. If I did it again, I'd go 60x30+ and added another bay. First floor has 12' ceilings. I need to get HVAC in there.

outlets on 20amp circuits. just two on each so run a 100amp sub panel. consider a way to back feed the house with a genny if you dont have it already.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

20. Member
    Im beginning to see how the BBC is the cash buyers of America. Man the size of some of these garages and then to say they are full and y'all need more room! Haha, real world problems we got here on the BBC! With all the said, yes get the biggest garage you can afford to build!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast