Stratos Retractable Tongue Cracked

My boat is a 2005 201 Pro XL, and the trailer has the retractable tongue that slides back. I was away for a tourney and my travel partner noticed a catastropic crack in the tongue that meets the description of the recall I included below. I'm glad we caught it before it completely broke, as the boat would have detached entirely from the truck, possibly at highway speed. Luckily a friend knew a local welder who was willing to do a same day repair. It looks like they did a great job. But I'm not sure if this weld is intended to be good for the long haul (no pun intended), or if I should think of this as a temporary fix, and try and replace the entire tongue assembly (assuming this is even still available). I'm looking for opinions on the structural integrity of a typical weld like this, or hoping to hear if anyone who had this issue managed to find a replacement tongue.

I didn't get a chance to photo the crack, but here is a photo of the trailer after welder repaired it. He did take out the bracket that is underneath, and said he did 3 passes on both inside and out.

20240510_160700.jpg

When I found the recall describing this problem (details below) I called White River Marine. They looked up my trailer serial and said the problem does not include my trailer. That seems pretty suspect considering that ny trailer is the same model, within the year range, it broke in the exact spot the recall points out, broke in the same manner the recall describes, and has the larger gap that seems to have been the issue. They said I could take it to any White River marine center to have it inspected or repaired, but at my own expense. I'm not exactly thrilled with that answer.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or information.

-----------------------
    The recall details:
    -----------------------
    Build Years/Makes/Models: 2002 - 2006 STRATOS BOAT TRAILER
    2003 - 2006 CHAMPION BOAT TRAILER

UNits affected: 3608

Recall Number: 06V206000

Summary: CERTAIN BOAT TRAILERS EQUIPPED WITH A RETRACTABLE TONGUE WERE MANUFACTURED INCORRECTLY. THE STEEL FRAME INSERT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN INSERTED INTO THE BRAKE ACTUATOR HOUSING AT THE CORRECT DISTANCE BEFORE THE PARTS WERE WELDED TOGETHER.

Consequence: IF THE RETRACTABLE TONGUE WAS NOT MANUFACTURED CORRECTLY, THE BOTTOM OF THE TOP INSERT COULD CRACK IN THE AREA OF THE GAP. IF THE INSERT CRACKS WITH THE TRAILER IN SERVICE, THE TONGUE COULD BUCKLE CONTACTING THE ROAD SURFACE, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPAIR THE TRAILERS AS NECESSARY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JUNE 22, 2006. OWNERS MAY CALL 615-494-2084 FOR MORE INFORMATION.

Notes: GENMAR RECALL NO. STR1.CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2010 Yamaha 250 SHO
    10in Atlas Hydraulic, 10ft PP blades

Thanks for the heads up! Mines a 2003 I'll be checking it.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!