Thread: Low oil alarm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Low oil alarm

Hey guys,

Here is my issue. This is the second trip out since bringing the boat out of winterizing. First trip boat ran great but this trip I got a low oil alarm on the second start up. I also smelled gas so I trolled back to the ramp and here is where I am at.

Engine mounted tank is 3/4 full and remote is a little over half full. I tried bleeding the engine tank by loosening the cap and running the engine but it did not fill up and I found my gas leak. The gas leak was coming from the center of the top of the fuel filter that goes into the pump. There is a small “circle” that the gas was coming out of…very weird.

I did check the remote tank and got about a 1/4 turn on one cap. I ordered a new fuel filter so I am down until it comes in. I also ordered the small oil filters just to be on the safe side.

Are the 2 issues related? The reason I ask is the book says to make sure the fuel system is primed before bleeding the tank. And if not, any tips on where to start with the tank?

2018 250 pro xs (2 stroke) serial# 2b532791 with 200 hours.

thanks!!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Doubt they are related.

You may want to remove the pickup cap from your oil tank and check the pickup screen for congealed oil. If you've had ANY moisture in your oil tank, this can happen (and often does while sitting).

Once clear, see if your can bleed the air following the FAQ Post "Bleeding Air from the Engine-Mounted Oil Tank".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank you!! I will update when I figure out the issue.

4. Member
    Clogged screen in remote tank and lots of sludge in the tank. Thanks again for the help!!

5. Member
    Hey Don,

Should I replace the filter that is next to the engine mounted tank? I removed the remote tank and gave it a good cleaning along with the pick up. There was quite a bit of sludge in the bottom of the tank.
    Thanks!!

6. Member
    Hey Don- Your post brings up a question. I have seen others on the board and on other blogs mention this same issue with congealed oil clogging their pickup and causing alarm or oil flow issues. So, if someone checks their oil pickup in their remote oil tank and finds congealed oil/sludge on there, what is the best way to clean it?
    Wouldn't most cleaners/chemicals used to dissolve sludge or clogged oil contaminate your oil tank/system?

7. Member
    I pulled the tank and washed it out with gas and then made sure it was completely dry. I gently wiped the screen and then blew low pressure air through the pick up to be sure. I am not using any DFI oil that was in the remote tank. Hope I cleaned it properly ��

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    65Stang: If you found contamination, I would absolutely replace that filter.

Quote Originally Posted by GamblerJeff View Post
    Hey Don- Your post brings up a question. I have seen others on the board and on other blogs mention this same issue with congealed oil clogging their pickup and causing alarm or oil flow issues. So, if someone checks their oil pickup in their remote oil tank and finds congealed oil/sludge on there, what is the best way to clean it?
    Wouldn't most cleaners/chemicals used to dissolve sludge or clogged oil contaminate your oil tank/system?
    Jeff- only if left in there to contaminate it. Most solvents that would be safe to use in the REMOTE tank will also evaporate away within a few hours (or less). Kerosene or Gas would be my preferred choices, I'm not real fond of using "gas" as a cleaner, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Can you pull the cap and pickup out of the remote tank while the tank is still full of oil, clean the pickup with Kerosene (let it dry/evaporate), and then reinstall back into the full tank?

10. Member
    Yes, but whatever is on the pick-up is most likely also on the bottom of the tank.

11. Member
    yep
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    If I pull this pickup tube/screen out of my tank just to check it, and then reinstall (or clean/reinstall).......will I need to go back through the oil pump priming process all over again? Or through the bleeding process again?

13. Member
    may have to bleed air from engine tank is all after you run it some / no prime
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

14. Member
    Anyone have a tip for replacing the filter below the engine oil tank? That little guy looks like it is gonna be a challenge…��. Thanks!!

15. Member
    I actually just changed that little white inline oil filter two days ago on my motor, since I was changing out my engine mounted oil tank.
    Really it was not too bad to change the little inline oil filter. If you cut the tie wrap and remove the hose from the little brass pressure valve thing (located just past the little white filter), you can pull up the remaining hose section and filter up out of the lower cowl and then cut the tie wraps and pull the filter off.
    Just be sure to replace the tie wraps at each "nipple"/connection point when you put it all back together with the new filter in place. And use something to cinch those tie wraps down tight......wouldn't trust just pulling them tight by hand......

16. Member
    Did you use the special tie wraps that have a curved head? ( can’t remember the name). Thanks for the tip

17. Member
    Radius head zip ties should be used on hose/tubing/line connections

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Radius head zip ties should be used on hose/tubing/line connections
    Yes!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

19. Member
    ^^^^+1

20. Member
    Hey Stang-
    Nope.....didn't know anything about "radius head" zip ties.....guess I screwed up again! Those tie wraps I cut off sure looked exactly like what I put back on......sure didn't notice any radius or curve whatsoever to the heads.....I knew there was a reason why I didn't like doing my own mechanic work! Hope they don't fail!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast