Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The rising cost of keeping your vehicles on the road

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...s-206078533792

I found this very interesting as me and the Mrs go through the process of replacing an 8 year old vehicle that is coming up on costly routine maintenance.

People pay for what they can't, won't, or don't have time to do. How much we pay depends on how valuable the service or good is to us. Most of us need a vehicle and shelter to survive. Finding a good mechanic, plumber, etc...is like pulling teeth, they are out there but you will wait around here for them to get parts and the time to squeeze you in.

The rising costs of home ownership is right there with vehicles. Of course all this hurts the people who can afford prices rising 3-6 months the most.

2. Member
    Yes and it’s been that way for a while. Skilled labor is getting harder to find. The cost for them to do business is getting more expensive also. The good ones are slammed with work.

Thank God I was born mechanically inclined. I couldn't even put a figure on the money we've saved over the years doing automotive, plumbing, electrical etc myself.
    Ranting incoherently

4. Member
    The prices are raising on everything we touch. It is out of control and the only way to combat it is, keep what you have. I went in a grocery store a couple of times in the past two weeks. Ground beef was $7.49 a pound. I follow the housing cost pretty closely. They are asking $430,000 for 1400 square foot condominiums up here. Boat prices are out of sight. Something has to give pretty soon, or our economy is going to crash. We all have to stop buying anything we can do without.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Thank God I was born mechanically inclined. I couldn't even put a figure on the money we've saved over the years doing automotive, plumbing, electrical etc myself.
    I'm the same way.
    The sad thing is most of our younger generation would need to youtube what direction to remove a screw or the most very basic mechanical functions to survive in everyday life to save money.
    They use the typical "I'm gonna make enough money where I can pay someone to do it".

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    I'm the same way.
    The sad thing is most of our younger generation would need to youtube what direction to remove a screw or the most very basic mechanical functions to survive in everyday life to save money.
    They use the typical "I'm gonna make enough money where I can pay someone to do it".
    I guess the mechanically inclined generation should have taught them better!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    You can lead a horse to water...

I would like to know how they came up with that number, 12k seems like a lot to me.

9. Member
    I think there's a lot of truth in that statement. Everybody complains about this young generation being unmotivated and afraid of manual labor, but those monsters were built by the coddling parents who "wanted their kids to have it easier than they did."

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asabove View Post
    You can lead a horse to water...
    And maybe they weren't lead to water because mommy and daddy brought the water to them so they didn't have to put down their video game controller.

11. Member
    There is not enough instant gratification in being skilled laborer. Not too many people are willing to pay their dues to become accomplished at most skills. You can’t get rich fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Altro Cat View Post
    I would like to know how they came up with that number, 12k seems like a lot to me.
    At first I agreed with you but re-reading it says the cost of "owning and maintaining a new car" so they have to be including the monthly note as well. Otherwise on a new car you have insurance, registration and an oil change or two per year.

13. Member
    Does not seem we need a news story to inform us that the cost of a new car has gone up, the cost of insurance up, the cost of labor up, and cost of any parts for replacement up.

would have been more interesting talking about lower income people and teens who need low cost easy to maintain vehicles in the 10 year range. With all the high tech on cars and hybrids in last 7 years, seems like this is the segment crushed by prices and complexity
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

14. Member
    That's why I buy used with cash and fix everything myself.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Some of these newer cars get over my head, but any and everything with the home me and my family can tackle. Saves a ton money. YouTube can teach you about anything.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    At first I agreed with you but re-reading it says the cost of "owning and maintaining a new car" so they have to be including the monthly note as well. Otherwise on a new car you have insurance, registration and an oil change or two per year.
    oil change or two per year? Must not be driving anywhere if at all

when I had my civic I changed the oil about 10 times a year. But I was also putting over 35k miles a year. Now that I work closer, it’s about 3-4 times a year at 3000mi intervals
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

A lot of schools these days no longer have wood shop, small engine repair/Auto classes, sheet metal and welding etc. So part of the problems stems from lack of options to learn these skills growing up in modern public schools.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

18. Member
    Some of the young uns won’t put their phone down long enough to learn.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    A lot of schools these days no longer have wood shop, small engine repair/Auto classes, sheet metal and welding etc. So part of the problems stems from lack of options to learn these skills growing up in modern public schools.
    I guess I was lucky! Growing up in Massachusetts I was afforded the opportunity to attend a Vocational/ Technical High School. Got a High School Diploma and a Trade in 4 years. I believe we need more schools like these!

A college girl my kid knows stopped, by the house, just got a oil change for $85 in her Kia, had a head light out, dealer wanted 200. Had her go to auto zone an get 2 bulbs, and fixed it for her. If you don't know how to do things, you are going to pay dearly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast