update...first time

I'm new to Humminbird....came with the 2022 ZXR21 I just bought...I went to the Humminbird update page and it says before I "update" the software they advise that I "restore defaults" before any new software uploads...is this something everyone does? I thought I could just plug in the SD card with the update, it would recognize it and away we go?

That is a leftover step from a few years ago. It is to prevent a bricked unit during the update. Many did not or would not read and follow the update instructions, their unit bricked and had to be sent to Humminbird to get the memory reflashed.
    Starting about 2012 that step is written in the software so it gets done whether you follow the instructions or not.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    There are people on both sides of this one. For many years I was a firm believer in doing a Restore Factory Defaults both before and after the updates. For the last few Apex updates, I have skipped both and everything has gone fine. The reason for my process change was being told by a Humminbird resource I trust that a Restore Factory Defaults is now performed before and after as part of the update process itself.

With that said, doing them yourself is a safe bet and it only adds a few minutes to the whole update process... It certainly can't hurt anything.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers