Waste - Shrinkflation or just to make you think you're getting more?

I guess I can understand a bag of chips having air to protect the chips and the bag being half full but why are so many other containers way bigger than they need to be?

1/2 full is weird.

panko1.jpg panko2.jpg
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

2. Member
    WTH is that?
    Hi Mike.

3. Member
    Breadcrumbs.

you sure the can wasn’t opened when you bought it? That doesn’t sound right. If you have a kitchen scale, I’d test the weight
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Breadcrumbs.

you sure the can wasn’t opened when you bought it? That doesn’t sound right. If you have a kitchen scale, I’d test the weight
    Panko and not opened, it had a pop top thing under the plastic lid. It was sealed.
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

5. Member
    They always print on the can or bag...."Some settling of contents may have occurred"

Looks like that panko settled half a cans worth.
    Hi Mike.

6. Member
    Just realized my favorite salad dressing; Kraft Balsamic has "shrunk" from 475 ml. to 425ml and its price increased 50 cents, the label changed, that's how I knew about the size, WTF ! No longer buy chips, they are bad for you and I got tired of buying more air ! And I know I'm getting less !

7. Member
    According to my latest thread this is no big deal! Why worry about how much your spending and how much your getting...lol. that can being half full should be illegal I think. Prolly costed two times as much as it used to aswell. That's the going thing lately. Paying twice as much and getting less. And according to alot of BBC users, questioning prices or what we get for our money is nothing more than jealousy or being petty

8. Moderator
    Quantity low and price high. Gotta keep those record profits most companies are posting every quarter or the stock market will collapse and your retirement will be gone.

9. Member
    I did pay CASH for my Panko!

Actually thinking more of how much extra waste they're creating? You'd think the environmental people would be all up in arms about it. Lots of Stuff just like this!

10. Member
    It is transitory
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

11. #FRB
    Sometimes I'll put the old size and new size next to each other if the spot on the shelf is more than one facing. Good experiment to see who's paying attention.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

A lot of times they keep the same paging for many reasons: 1 buy boxes in bulk. 2 if they make the box/package smaller you will realize you are getting less product for the same money or in a lot of cases more money. One of our studies years ago in college was on packaging for cereal. If the manufacturers kept the same size packaging but gave you less product and the price stayed the same, most people didn't even notice it!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    It is transitory
    Where have I heard that before?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncshooter View Post
    According to my latest thread this is no big deal! Why worry about how much your spending and how much your getting...lol. that can being half full should be illegal I think. Prolly costed two times as much as it used to aswell. That's the going thing lately. Paying twice as much and getting less. And according to alot of BBC users, questioning prices or what we get for our money is nothing more than jealousy or being petty

just like most bags of soft plastics used to have 10 baits

16. Member
    I get the conception of seeing the package and it's relationship to the amount of product but if something is labeled as 2lbs then it can be in a 5 gallon bag but you're still getting 2lbs of product. As far as shrinkflation my biggest gripe is Kingsford charcoal going from 2x 20lb bags for $20 ($10 on grilling holidays) to 18.5lb and now 16lb still $20.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    just like most bags of soft plastics used to have 10 baits
    I seen a package of worms from a brand I have never seen before the on the peg the other day that I thought looked nice and the price was reasonable at $4-5................................until I noticed that there were less than ten worms in the package. This was normal 6-7" worms not a rally large bait.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."