Mercury Advisory

I'm not planning on eating bass out of Keowee or Jocassee but why is there a mercury advisory on spotted bass and largemouth bass on both lakes but none for trout and smallmouth bass? Is the mercury naturally occurring or is it originating from somewhere else? Just curious as both lakes don't seem to have much industrial or agricultural things going on around it. I have fished the rivers that feed both these lakes and have never seen any of these signs so I am assuming it is not originating upstream.

2. Member
    I am by no means an authority on this, but I had the same question. It seems to be from the cumulative effect of a lot of small things, naturally occurring and man-made.

For the largemouth and spotted bass, it's from the bioaccumulation that occurs with them from their diets. Aside from trout being stocked, they prefer clear water with a current, which somehow makes a difference; they also eat more terrestrials, on average. Smallmouth also seek out the clear water, and like some current also.

The dams pump water in both directions along the chain. You can be on Keowee any given day and the current will be flowing north because they're pumping up to Jocassee.

It's naturally occurring too. Jocassee is formed from 5 mountain rivers; more minerals in the mountains; there are geothermal springs in the mountains that feed into the tributary rivers and contribute some amounts of mercury naturally.

Of course, Hartwell will always be a superfund site and the pumping between dams will move water contaminants upstream as well.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    I am by no means an authority on this, but I had the same question. It seems to be from the cumulative effect of a lot of small things, naturally occurring and man-made.

For the largemouth and spotted bass, it's from the bioaccumulation that occurs with them from their diets. Aside from trout being stocked, they prefer clear water with a current, which somehow makes a difference; they also eat more terrestrials, on average. Smallmouth also seek out the clear water, and like some current also.

The dams pump water in both directions along the chain. You can be on Keowee any given day and the current will be flowing north because they're pumping up to Jocassee.

It's naturally occurring too. Jocassee is formed from 5 mountain rivers; more minerals in the mountains; there are geothermal springs in the mountains that feed into the tributary rivers and contribute some amounts of mercury naturally.

Of course, Hartwell will always be a superfund site and the pumping between dams will move water contaminants upstream as well.
    That makes sense. I know the Horsepasture River also runs through or near a lot of the golf courses in Sapphire so I wasn't sure if that played a part as well. We did the waterfall tour so I got to see the end of a lot of those rivers I use to fish in NC which was pretty nice. The water looked ver clear and clean which is what caused me to question the mercury advisory .

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post

of course, Hartwell will always be a superfund site and the pumping between dams will move water contaminants upstream as well.
    Humm learn something new everyday. I didn't know that the dam on Keowee that flows into the Seneca river back filled Keowee. I knew that Keowee back filled Jocassee and Jocassee back filled Bad Creek.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    But as stated Hartwell will be a superfund site due to a company called Sagamo/Lowell polluting the lake.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Humm learn something new everyday. I didn't know that the dam on Keowee that flows into the Seneca river back filled Keowee. I knew that Keowee back filled Jocassee and Jocassee back filled Bad Creek.
    I believe I was incorrect in my statement. As you said, Jocassee and Bad Creek also serve as pumped storage; but I don't think the turbines at the Keowee dam are reversible.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250