Thread: Low oil alarm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Just looked up these "radius head" tie wraps......definitely not what was on my ProXS oil lines that I cut off a couple days ago when I changed the oil tank and filter.....but I ordered some anyway just to have them for next time.

2. Member
    Follow up to the original post. Cleaned the tank, screen on pick up, new oil filter, put engine in break in mode ( watched engine mounted tank drop about an inch).

fired boat up and tried bleeding the tank by loosening the cap but it is still not filling the tank. The steps I did were necessary based on the evidence but I am running out of ideas.

I am gonna check the continuity on the float tomorrow and after that I am stumped.

Anyone got any other ideas? I am pretty sure I don’t have a leaking hose and the o rings looked good.

Thanks!!

3. Member
    Should not have put the motor in "break-in-mode".
    The Float has nothing to do with the engine mounted tank not filling.
    Is pressure building up in the remote oil tank?
    Did you test for pressure leaks with Kids soapy bubbles?

4. Member
    Savage,

Correct me if I am wrong but the mercury book said to reprime the system anytime the system has been opened.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 65Stang View Post
    Savage,

Correct me if I am wrong but the mercury book said to reprime the system anytime the system has been opened.
    The proper way to re-prime the system is to run a "Oil Pump Prime Sequence"

6. Member
    That is what I did per the book. Moved shift lever forward to neutral till pump kicked on(while spinning prop). I am going to recheck for air leaks today and if that doesn’t work it’s off to the shop.

I have read it can take quite a while to fill the engine tank..I left it running for approximately 10 minutes but may let it run a little longer today. Any tips are welcomed..��

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 65Stang View Post
    That is what I did per the book. Moved shift lever forward to neutral till pump kicked on(while spinning prop). I am going to recheck for air leaks today and if that doesn’t work it’s off to the shop.

I have read it can take quite a while to fill the engine tank..I left it running for approximately 10 minutes but may let it run a little longer today. Any tips are welcomed..��
    The Mercury Service Manual does NOT inform you to do that for an Oil Pump Prime. That is a "Field Break-in Reset Procedure". By doing that you cleared all Fault History, all Run History, reset a Smart Breakin Clock that only counts down above 3500 RPM's, under heavy load (minimum 2 hrs under these conditions), and delivers DOUBLE oil to the engine until that clock is expired. 2-3 gallons of Oil and very likely a set of spark plugs are the immediate cost... carbon and oil residue are the long-term costs.

You need to remove the pressure line from the crankcase pressure check valve, and utilizing either a gearcase (hand-pump) pressure tester, OR a bicycle pump, apply 6 to 8 psi to the line and make sure it HOLDS pressure. If it does, you either have blockage on the oil side, the crankcase pressure check valve isn't working properly, or you have a reed problem on that cylinder.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks for the info Don,

I guess lesson learned. I took the feed line off of the remote tank and it had a bunch of pressure. Obviously I have reached the end of my capabilities so I am gonna take it to a shop.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Radius head zip ties should be used on hose/tubing/line connections
    I bought fuel injection hose clamps at the auto parts store and replaced all zip ties in the oil and fuel system. When I replaced my engine mounted oil tank this year, I could not get it to purge until I replaced those clamps. Afterwards, it took about 45 seconds to purge that last 3/4” of air from the tank. $20-$30 worth of clamps makes it headache free.

10. Member
    Hello it’s me again… soonest I can get the boat in the shop is late June so I am gonna try and figure it out myself. More to follow I am sure. Thanks for all of the replies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12