2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS Guardian Mode

Serial number 3B175459

Engine was running great and upon start up and shifting to forward, I got a long alarm and the engine started running rough. I put the shifter in neutral and the engine stayed in forward. I shut the engine off and it started right back up and all was good. Ran down the lake and fished a 3 day derby with no issues. Went out Sunday and everything was normal until 11am. I started it up and put it in forward. It immediately alarmed and went into guardian mode. I shut it down and it resumed normal operation. As I was running down the lake, it went into guardian mode again. It proceeded to randomly go into guardian mode 10-15 times before I got back to the ramp.
    any ideas?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to have full history report printed to confirm, but you may have a failing demand sensor OR actuator. Both should be under warranty still.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Took it to the shop and there is nothing stored in the history, however, while I was on the phone with the mechanic, the computer beeped and gave a shift actuator misalignment or something like that code.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The precise number and verbiage of that fault will be critical.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I had tournaments Saturday and Sunday this week so I picked the boat up Friday after it sat at the mechanics all week and didn’t get fixed. It was acting up really bad for the first hour on the water but I fished two derbies and it didn’t act up once. Really seems to be random.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Next time, see if you can get a full history report (printout or saved file).