Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar

Constant 13.8 volts

Why wouldn’t one of the voltage converts like used to
    put a radio on a golf cart work to provide a constant 13.8 volts
    for your live scope. They take 8-40 volts and output a constant 13.8 volts.

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-13-...RoCPvQQAvD_BwE
    i just happen to have one laying around.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

2. Member
    16v lithiums from powerhouse

3. Member
    I always have 14.4. Monster Marine bandit. On the Garmin. 26 on the box.
    Rad Brewer

10 Amps per hr lost...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I have done this a couple times, once for a Crappie guide and another time for a friend with a small river boat. In both cases there were space constraints and we did it to prevent adding another battery.
    Both instances worked as expected.
    I was forewarned that many of these buck/boost transformers have a ripple in the voltage output. The ripple is there in varying degrees based on the quality of the converter but it is unclear how this affects the connected device.
    we have not observed any negative affects on the units and the one on the Guide boat is used several hours almost every day.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

6. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Is the 10 amp limit a problem?
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Quote Originally Posted by I fish 4 Bass View Post
    I always have 14.4. Monster Marine bandit. On the Garmin. 26 on the box.
    Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    Is the 10 amp limit a problem?
    Shouldn't be, depending on how much equipment you want to hook up to it.
    Here's a test showing 4 sonar/Livescope units and a GLS10 all running simultaneously (pretty extreme example for the casual angler), pulling just shy of 9 amps. You can skip to about 7:40 for a recap.

If you needed more amperage cushion, they do sell similar converters that handle 30A output for about the same money.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    10 Amps per hr lost...
    That doesn't seem right. It has a 10A capacity, but your electronics will only draw what they need. If you are drawing the full 10A capacity, at 95% efficiency (minimum efficiency stated), then you will only lose out on .5A.

That being said, if you are already drawing your batteries low throughout the day, this will make it worse because it will force your system to keep the watts up, instead of slowly lowering the power drawn on your batteries (I believe that is how this would work). If your issue is simply power loss through wiring issues, then this could account for that. Seems like a cool idea in my mind.

Shouldn't be a problem. I have a 12>24v step up that I run to my black box. Looks similar
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

11. Member
    Only reason I can see for that is if you wanted to run a deep cycle 24v or 36v battery for electronics. Have higher capacity in terms of wH.

Only other time I have seen these for marine is from Power House Lithium but that is to protect Lowrance units from voltage spikes.
    Fish have fins, they swim

Its an interesting concept, and as a guy running dual 60ah 36v TM batteries I have oodles of amp hours to spare, for sure. But, I think noise would be the major issue, which is the last thing you want from a power supply for imaging. But to power an radio - sure why not.

13. Member
    I read where Rick Pierce was running a Bandit off his 36V connections to power his electronics on his personal boat. It's 36V inlet with one 14V outlet for graphs and one 24V outlet for livescope box.
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Its an interesting concept, and as a guy running dual 60ah 36v TM batteries I have oodles of amp hours to spare, for sure. But, I think noise would be the major issue, which is the last thing you want from a power supply for imaging. But to power a radio - sure why not.
    I got two of the same 36v 60ah batteries you got and am thinking the same thing. Plenty of power to spare; perhaps I could take some load off my 12v AGM. I was going to get a Bandit converter for my electronics and use the agm simply as cranking and house (pumps, lights, etc.). Instead of using the troller motor wiring (which SEEMS like a bad idea) I was going to put the Bandit in the battery compartment, pull directly off the battery with two cables, and hook the existed dedicated wiring for my electronics to the converter.

But, I needed a new charger and was soon due for a new cranking battery so I decided to go all in with lithium and got a 12v 160ah cranked too. Now I feel like I’m filthy AH rich but still stuck on the idea of at least having the option of using some of the excess 36v power for some of the 12v demand.

Does anyone know the difference (other than having both 24 and 12 volt legs) between the monster marine bandit and a standard buck converter like the OP linked? I’m now leaning toward getting a 36v to 12v converter and a three way perko switch and using it for house loads with the ability to switch it to my cranker and running the graphs off the cranking battery.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad202 View Post
    I read where Rick Pierce was running a Bandit off his 36V connections to power his electronics on his personal boat. It's 36V inlet with one 14V outlet for graphs and one 24V outlet for livescope box.
    Do you remember where you read that? I’d be interested to see what he said. The man knows B.A.S.S. boats.

Dirty power

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

17. Member
    I do wonder if this would help clean up the power from the trolling system so that you would not get interference running graphs from the trolling motor batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by ajw18 View Post
    Do you remember where you read that? I’d be interested to see what he said. The man knows B.A.S.S. boats.
    I think he talked about it in his opens boat tour on YT a month or two ago...

19. Member
    Thanks. I wonder which converter exactly he’s using. Maybe we’ll get an update.

20. Member
    I would be weary of going from clean power from a battery to noisy power from a switcher.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."