Johnson 90hp powerhead interchange ??s

The Johnson 90hp v4 (1989 serial #TJ90TLCEM ) dropped a cylinder on my wife’s pontoon. Saw a local guy selling an all white bubble back exhaust Johnson 140 that is a v4 also. I’m waiting to hear back from him about the serial number. My question is, will that motor swap onto my leg? I know the water pump and lower unit is good on my set up so I’d like to swap powerheads if it’ll work. If it won’t work what will? Certain other 90s, a 115hp?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Need the model not serial. But chances are good that they won't interchange yours is a cross flow and the 140 is more than likely a looper.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Need the model not serial. But chances are good that they won't interchange yours is a cross flow and the 140 is more than likely a looper.
    Thanks for that answer. What about a 1977 Johnson 115? It has the flat exhaust plate like our 90 does.

4. Member
    The shift throttle cables and remote controls are different. The changes started in 1978 moving up to the snapin control cables and control.
    wire harness is the big-red, round plug. Is the same in each and should interchange with maybe some small tweaks on the dash board end.
    remember the 1977 is premix only 50:1. The 89 is VRO.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    The shift throttle cables and remote controls are different. The changes started in 1978 moving up to the snapin control cables and control.
    wire harness is the big-red, round plug. Is the same in each and should interchange with maybe some small tweaks on the dash board end.
    remember the 1977 is premix only 50:1. The 89 is VRO.
    So the ‘77 115 powerhead will bolt up to the ‘89 leg? If so I’m wondering if I can swap my linkages from the original powerhead over to the 115 and use my control cables. My powerhead has the big red wire harness connector.

6. Member
    It’s possible but without making a deep dive into adapter housing parts I cannot say the powerhead will bolt up. Championman may know better.
    you won’t need to swap any linkages. You can use your existing cables.