Talk me through a putter fitting

The Odyssey Two Ball was too heavy, went to a 70’s era Ping Anser which I really like, but it’s too light. Figured with half my strokes on the green would go get a new putter. Did some research, tried some out at a golf store, and realized a little help would get me in the right putter. I did the like Cameron and Odyssey blades, and figured with a new driver and irons in the bag, may as well round it out with a new blade. So, if you had a putter fitting, let me know how it went, what to look for, etc. Thanks

2. Member
    My putter fitting was more about getting the right length and grip size, showed me all the different putters they had and to pick one I liked best with the closest in length to what I needed. Trimmed the shaft and installed new grip.

3. Member
    I did a putter fitting for an Edel putter before, it has the removeable weights, the fitting was very interesting, they ended up putting me in a blade style putter (i usually use a Cameron Laguna or Ping Redwood Zing putter with standard loft and lie at 34.5" and a small pistol grip) with 2 - 25 gr weights in the sole, a 1* flat lie, a finished length of 33.5" and an oversized Superstroke grip. The fitting lasted about 2 hours and it took me a while to get used to playing with it, i like the changeable weights, the fitter told me that some of the putter fittings are brand/putter style specific and may not work with every putter.

4. Member
    Thanks, scheduled for Friday, will let ya know how it goes.

5. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Unless your fitter is using something like SAM Putting Lab, its basically a fit for length and lie angle.

My putter fitting was an awesome experience.

The putter I was using was all wrong for me, and it was clearly obvious after they showed me what they were looking at. I had the wrong lie, wrong length, wrong offset for my putting stroke, Etc. They built me a new one from the ground up. Also discovered I am an arc putter, which is fine, just takes the right setup to make it work. Ended up with an Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas putter head. I found out real quick just how important the offset for the shaft is on a putter. Once they got all that tweaked and matched up to my putting stroke it was a thing of beauty....enjoy the fitting.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    My putter fitting was an awesome experience.

The putter I was using was all wrong for me, and it was clearly obvious after they showed me what they were looking at. I had the wrong lie, wrong length, wrong offset for my putting stroke, Etc. They built me a new one from the ground up. Also discovered I am an arc putter, which is fine, just takes the right setup to make it work. Ended up with an Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas putter head. I found out real quick just how important the offset for the shaft is on a putter. Once they got all that tweaked and matched up to my putting stroke it was a thing of beauty....enjoy the fitting.
    Where did you get your fitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    Where did you get your fitting?

https://www.mcgolf.net/
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    Thanks. Nice website. It is a little bit of a long drive for m4!

10. Member
    So here is how it went. First told fitter I liked blade style but wasn’t 100% committed to that style, so started putting with blades. He just wanted to watch me a bunch of putts. Moved to other heads but just didn’t like the look so narrowed it down to the blade pretty quickly. He did some measuring and found the right length putter, and he laid out about 8 different putters, wanted my feedback on feel.

Milled faced Scotty Cameron was just too hot for my liking, as my home course has few flat, straight putts, and I could see myself knocking every down hill putt 6 feet past. Odyssey he had was too soft, ended up liking the Ping Anser 2D. Didn’t change the lie angle, but figured out my eyes were about an inch inside the ball, and my stroke was adjusting, making me pull the ball (sorta wondered why I tended to pull the ball left allot). Adjusted my position and started hitting it straight. Now I just need to remember to do that on the course. Having recovery time surgery last month and another next week, will need to drive all of 4 minutes to my club and actually practice.

Overall another good experience. For those who are in central NC, I recommend Continental Golf In Raleigh. You will need a fitting appointment, they always had customers in the shop, and you could tell many were regulars, a good sign IMO.