Need help learning more about a 20' Allison 2+2 bass boat from 1995

Hey, I found a 1995 Allison 2+2 20' bass boat with a 225 hp Mercury and a single-axle trailer--I didn't know boats like this existed. What model could this possibly be? I need to learn more about the specs and whatnot. I'm waiting for the owner to respond back to me, but if I can find out more about this boat, it will be helpful. I originally wasn't planning to sell my '85 Skeeter, but for the right price, my wife said she would like something more like a 2+2 Allison to be more comfortable when we go out on the water to ride around as a family of 4. I primarily want a bass boat for fishing, and I don't want a traditional fish & ski, which is why I have not been shopping for boats.
    1985 Skeeter SF-175 & 1985 Evinrude 150 XP (with VRO removed)

2. Member
    center console? IE, to get to the front deck, you pass the console on the port side of the boat, next to the gunnel. If so, it is either an XB2002 or an XB2003. If it has only a single driver's side console, it's an XTB21.

I don't know much about the Allison models, but I do know that Allison Craft started building race boats in the 60's, maybe 50's in Louisville, Tennessee (pronounced "Lewis-ville"). I have met some of the family and they build a quality boat. That being said, their boats are light and fast, and might not be something your wife would consider comfortable. Choose wisely.
    Last edited by mysuzytoo; 05-18-2024 at 06:35 AM.

4. Member
    Yes, it is a center console, and it looks like I have to walk on port side.

5. Member
    XTB 21 or XB 2003
    I have a ‘93 model XTB and I assure you it’s safe for the family of 4 and very smooth riding. I’ve owned the XB2003 also and it’s another safe and fun boat for the family.
    Just Google Allison XB 2003 and learn.

Last edited by scj; 05-18-2024 at 08:23 AM.

6. Member
    After more research and help from y’all, I think it is an XB2003. I found that set of videos this morning, and now I understand the storage layout. How is it for fishing as the primary use for 90% of my time during the year? I’m really a crappie fisherman who usually spider rigs, although I can see both pros and cons of this setup that I’d have to figure out before I want to travel to see the boat.

Toughest hull out there. I break 3/4 inch ice in the winter and bounce off of timber the rest of the year, literally. It will hold its value and last your lifetime.

278120062_10224515584991225_7669115955005941493_n.jpg

8. Member
    From a bass fisherman's perspective, the 2003 storage could be better. The rod storage requires rod socks to keep from getting rod tips tangled up. Plenty of room for tackle under the front deck (although not to the extent of the modern "aircraft carriers), but it requires one to access it from the side of the boat on his knees instead of the middle. That can be overcome by elevating the storage "floor" in the front compartment at the expense of losing some space. It isn't as stable at rest as some, because of its narrower beam. I found it not to be a problem, but you may be fishing in rough waters. Now for the positives. For its size and weight, the ride is wonderful. If you feel the need for speed, you should have an 80+mph boat. The big console gives you great wind protection when underway; great in the winter, but not so great when it's 100 degrees. You won't believe the difference in fuel economy, if you cruise at 45 to 50, it will likely be double what you are used to. If you fish with multiple rods, you could fabricate a trolling/drifting rack using the two rear seat pedestals that would rival a large striper boat, then easily remove it when necessary. I speak from experience as I owned one. While no boat is perfect, this is a good compromise boat for fishing and family. I swapped my 2003 for an XB21 2+2. It has all the pros of the 2003 (except the wind protection) and none of the issues I listed above. Hard to find one though.
    Last edited by motobuffy; 05-19-2024 at 05:53 AM.

9. Member
    My Skeeter has a narrower beam compared to modern bass boats, so I’m use to a little more rocking when the water gets rough, but then again, I normally don’t fish in rough water anyway. I’m probably not going to buy the original XB 2003 that got me interested in Allison for a few reasons that I won’t mention today, although been exploring other 80’s and 90’s Allisons to see the different configurations and what models may work better for me. I’m starting to think that an XTB or XB21 with 2+2 or 2+3 seating may be better for me, although I’m still studying to see if I can get one into my 25’ deep garage without turning enough to prevent me from parking my truck in there next to it, even if I have to modify the tongue and brake lines for swing conversion. Fortunately, I have garage doors in the front and back of the garage, to aide with walking around the boat if I don’t feel like climbing over the tongue and lower unit—I guess that I should have built this garage at least 26’ deep.

10. Member
    As I mentioned earlier, I’ve owned the XB 2003 and I currently have the XTB-21. I’ve also owned a XB 21 2+2 and a XB 21 ProSport.
    The XTB-21 was way ahead of its time for how boats should ride in rough waters. The single console airs out the passenger but that’s not bad when it’s 80+ degrees.
    The XTB-21 is the safest boat for young kids as the floor is huge and good for them to play around and fish from without worry of going overboard.
    Mine is a ‘93 which means it has the extended transom and with a Pro XS 2 stroke 250, it floats higher in back than any other Allison I’ve owned. I want to buy a new Allison but I’m going to wait until I get closer to retirement so I can use it more than I currently have time for. I use an Xi3 trolling motor which is only 12 volt and I have no issues in the wind with it for hours on end. I do use a lithium trolling battery to save weight in the boat. No matter how old your Allison is, it’ll make you smile when you walk up to it. The one I have now needed TLC but now I know everything about the boat and looking forward to using it when I can without having $100k tied up.

Btw, there’s a XTB-21 is the boats for sale section but it’s in Canada. Good price though.

11. Member
    I saw the one in Canada for sale yesterday; had I known that this seating setup existed and that it was put up for sale last fall when I was in Detroit on business, I possibly would have crossed the border to look at it and then had to rent a truck to bring it home and then deal with the various taxes and whatnot. ��

I’m not in a hurry, so I have time to look. It’s about to get too hot for my dad to fish in the summer, and if I do get an Allison, he wants my Skeeter SF-175 (because it is currently setup perfectly for him, since we crappie fish similarly) and sell his Skeeter SS90, because he has too many issues with it to use in water with more than a little chop.

12. Member
    The guy I bought my '03 from used it to crappie fish. 90+mph hot rod used to crappie fish.

13. Member
    1989 xtb-21,smp single axle trailer,5 1/2" allison jackplate 1988 dt 115 suzuki from front of trailer where ball goes in, to the back of the prop with engine verticle is 24' 2''.