outboard for fish/ski

Sold my bass boat and looking to get a fish and ski. Kids like to fish and play on the water and din't have room for two boats. So I will be looking for a fish and ski this spring. My question is on motor reliability. I pulled a tube a couple times this summer with the bass boat ave rpm was 3000. Now this prop was for my fishing set up, WOT would turn 5850 RPM's. I'm already guessing I would be better off to get two props, one for fishing and one for playing. What worries me is what RPM range do I want to be in when pulling a tube? I guess I'm just worried about blowing up a two stroke. Is it bad to run them under a load at lower RPM's like that? Looking for opinions, will be getting an 18-20 foot fish and ski one of the fishing based models like a triton or nitro, and prob early 2000's. Any motors I should stay away from?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'd recommend one of the 2.5L EFI or Optimax models in this category.

You "could" prop with one prop that would suit REASONABLY for both uses... something like the Trophy Plus, or a High-Five would work.

As long as the engine is propped PROPERLY, you're usually fine pulling tubes/skis (at PLANING speeds).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor