Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    The Feds collect 18.4 cents per GALLON of gas and 24.4 cents for every gallon of diesel sold in America. Let that soak in next time you are sitting in traffic or looking for a parking spot. This does not include the state. county or local taxes collected nor the millions the oil companies pay in, nor the millions trucking company's pay in.

IMO The real question should be why are our roads in such disrepair and why is there not a nest egg sitting somewhere to cover the gap until the insurance can be collected? Our grandchildren grandchildren will be paying for this bridge with interest.

Budget for all these taxes and fees on EVERY GALLON SOLD to be swapped to your electric bill as we are forced to transition to EV's.
    Gonna be some expensive electric bills...

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    Truly is there anything life that some won't find political? I swear it's as if they wake up in the morning, and their day isn't complete without it.
    How can you not when they’re affecting our everyday life so dramatically now days.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    How can you not when they’re affecting our everyday life so dramatically now days.
    Simple. Ignore it. I haven’t watched the news or read a paper in years. Ignorance is bliss. Plus, gripping about it at the coffee shop, or here, isn’t going to fix anything.

4. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    rational intelligent thought...
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    US is negotiating a loan with China to pay for the bridge.
    and to borrow money from them to pay china to re-build it also likely
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    So you would be willing wait years before the bridge is rebuilt while it spins around the courts?.....seems just a little bit short-sighted to me.
    That comment was made on the fuel tax post. And the bad shape our roads are in. Did u even read the post I made the reply to?

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    IMO The real question should be why are our roads in such disrepair and why is there not a nest egg sitting somewhere to cover the gap until the insurance can be collected? Our grandchildren grandchildren will be paying for this bridge with interest.
    It's in Pelosi, Schumers, Waters and many other congressional leaders bank accounts!

8. Member
    Very good point!

9. Member
    Something fishy is going on with that incident.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drahts View Post
    It's in Pelosi, Schumers, Waters and many other congressional leaders bank accounts!
    Agreed, but realise the criminals walk both sides of the political spectrum. Seems like the KY Rep that has been in D.C. all their life somehow has a net worth in the tens of millions while earning less than 200K a year keeping up with homes in both states all their life.

That math ain't mathin for this country boy.

11. Member
    maritime law is rather interesting. for one there was that guy in NC that fell off his boat offshore here recently. seatow went and recovered the boat and claimed salvage - basically wanted a $100k ransom payment to get it back. perfectly legal under maritime law but maybe not the most ethical.

12. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    So you would be willing wait years before the bridge is rebuilt while it spins around the courts?.....seems just a little bit short-sighted to me.
    How about they get involved and speed up the process instead of paying for it upfront. Try to let the system work like it should. I understand the bridge is very important and needed but just immediately footing the bill is crazy to me. Set up a special council and get the paperwork/legal part done. I'm sure the insurance lobby is hammering everyone right now trying to keep this tied up forever so they won't have to foot the bill.

13. Member
    If we can go a few years without it, do we really even need it?
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

14. Member
    Easy fix. The company that operated that ship owns hundreds of others. Ban them from all US ports until they pay for the bridge repair.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SC Bullet View Post
    So why is the US government planning to fund entire bridge construction when the ship that hit it has insurance?
    They need the bridge built ASP not in a few years waiting for Litigation procedures with the Company

16. Member
    I think I’d be more worried about a bridge of that magnitude being designed and built in a rush..

17. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshman View Post
    I think I’d be more worried about a bridge of that magnitude being designed and built in a rush..
    it's a bridge,,, it's not some new science........

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    Truly is there anything life that some won't find political? I swear it's as if they wake up in the morning, and their day isn't complete without it.
    I agree - but within about 48 hrs. of the accident, Biden was on TV saying the Fed. Gov. will pay for the bridge, without knowing any facts about insurance, etc. That was the beginning of the politicization, not here.
    MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.

19. Member
    correct, the salvage operations are basically pirates. I know of a company that had a crane on a barge out at sea, called for a mayday since the tug was going down, salvage company came and took their crane and barge to their port and demanded a few hundred thousand in cash to get their equipment back.

to answer the original question, maritime law limits the liability in an accident to the value of the vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthunter5 View Post
    maritime law is rather interesting. for one there was that guy in NC that fell off his boat offshore here recently. seatow went and recovered the boat and claimed salvage - basically wanted a $100k ransom payment to get it back. perfectly legal under maritime law but maybe not the most ethical.
    2023 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Yamaha SHO S/N 6KWL 1004324

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO View Post
    I agree - but within about 48 hrs. of the accident, Biden was on TV saying the Fed. Gov. will pay for the bridge, without knowing any facts about insurance, etc. That was the beginning of the politicization, not here.
    Yea He made it political.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast