Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Being a handicapped senior citizen don't help a bit on costs either. In years past, I took care of all repairs on cars, house etc. Now I still have the knowledge to still do all this, the body just laughs and says what are you thinking.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    A lot of schools these days no longer have wood shop, small engine repair/Auto classes, sheet metal and welding etc. So part of the problems stems from lack of options to learn these skills growing up in modern public schools.
    Yep. The majority of young people will have to pay someone to do the simplest of maintenance on their homes and autos. I can't imagine being that dependent. Many can't imagine changing their own oil and if a faucet drips they call a plumber. It's crazy how helpless so many people have become.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Thank God I was born mechanically inclined. I couldn't even put a figure on the money we've saved over the years doing automotive, plumbing, electrical etc myself.
    You'n me both.... hehe

4. Member
    Thank God I was born mechanically inclined. I couldn't even put a figure on the money we've saved over the years doing automotive, plumbing, electrical etc myself.
    I agree 100%, very very few things I hire out. But you have to admit it can be a curse sometimes! The phone rings quite a bit for "help" issues. as in can you do this for me. I understand some can't afford stuff but poor choices where they spend money should not be my concern. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    I guess I was lucky! Growing up in Massachusetts I was afforded the opportunity to attend a Vocational/ Technical High School. Got a High School Diploma and a Trade in 4 years. I believe we need more schools like these!
    same here. Wood shop 7th & 8th grade, small engine repair 10th & 11th grade then auto shop and sheet metal/welding 12th grade. Gave me just the basics but enough to give confidence in being able to research and figure out how to do most all of my own repairs. Granted I have never tackled a transmission rebuild with my bad memory and vast amount of parts involved. Pull a transmission and put it back in is difficult enough as is.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

6. Member
    same here. Wood shop 7th & 8th grade, small engine repair 10th & 11th grade then auto shop and sheet metal/welding 12th grade. Gave me just the basics but enough to give confidence in being able to research and figure out how to do most all of my own repairs. Granted I have never tackled a transmission rebuild with my bad memory and vast amount of parts involved. Pull a transmission and put it back in is difficult enough as is.
    You are probably seriously way ahead of most of the folks I run into on a daily basis! Most can't even fathom a tire change or a water leak in their homes.

7. Member
    I’m 68. Still do all my own maintenance on Boat , truck,travel trailer and house. Never paid a plumber or electrician or
    carpenter to do anything. Started tearing down motorcycles at 14. Put a Small block Chevy in a Landcruiser at 20. Retired carpenter.

8. Member
    No one has mentioned the owners. People lack common sense....Period! If people took an hour and did some basic research on what they were buying, they wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with.

9. Member
    This ^^^^

I kind on scratch my head, when guys take their boat to have their electronics or put a see clear. It's not that hard. I guess it is for some.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    I kind on scratch my head, when guys take their boat to have their electronics or put a see clear. It's not that hard. I guess it is for some.
    I feel the same way about typing.

12. Member
    One of the results of folks not knowing how to do these things is that there is a lot more stuff that goes undone. These same people don’t know how to evaluate a used car for sale and freak out and just either get fleeced or buy a new one or both. So many used cars go through the auction process and you have no idea what you’re getting.
    GETFISHED !!!

Many vehicles are not coming with a spare tire. Guess we have made it to the point where more people just call a tow?

14. Member
    I'm lucky that I can darn near work on anything and probably have the tools to do it. However you cant blame the younger generation for not having the capability if they were never exposed to it. Kids don't just jump up and say I think I'll go work on my car today. They might if they have a parent who says "Hey Sh!t head lets go fix your brakes today". You either grow up in that sort of stuff or you don't. So many we see today just haven't been exposed and even as simple as changing brake pads to me is could be overwhelming to a rookie. As down as the old heads are on the youth I'm surprised they even want them working on a vehicle that might be driven on the same roads as them.

15. Member
    How many of us in the "trades" made very good living's off of the back's of those who made stupid money to pay us? Doctor's, Lawyers etc. I call'ed them "client's".

16. Member
    My Fusion is 16 years old and it has been very cheap to own by doing all maintenance myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    oil change or two per year? Must not be driving anywhere if at all

when I had my civic I changed the oil about 10 times a year. But I was also putting over 35k miles a year. Now that I work closer, it’s about 3-4 times a year at 3000mi intervals
    Honda interval is 10,000 miles. Two covers more than the 20,000 I'm driving these days. Oil changes every 3,000 miles are so old school. Who runs dino oil these days in vehciles from this decade? Or are you running some old POS Honda?

18. Member
    A lot of schools these days no longer have wood shop, small engine repair/Auto classes, sheet metal and welding etc. So part of the problems stems from lack of options to learn these skills growing up in modern public schools.
    I taught Agriculture Science / Ag Mechanics for 2 years at a High School in the early 80s. Those kids ate it up. Woodworking , metal working, and welding. A lot of them got good jobs right out of HS. I quit to make a lot more money and worked in Aerospace industry for the next 30 years and retired. After 2 years of retirement I decided to take a job at a local HS as the Welding Teacher. That lasted for 2 years until I couldn't take it anymore.

There might have been 2 kids in each class that gave 2 shits about learning ANYTHING. The school Administrators could not care less either. It was money from the state for each butt in a seat. Pathetic bunch of pussies walking around with a cell phone attached to their hands.

19. Member
    I read the article to say a grand a month covers everything except the payment or initial cost of the vehicle. Don't forget most vehicles with EXCELLENT resale traditionally lose 45% of their value in five years. I imagine those cost are included as well. I know the 8 year old car my Mrs is driving is worth about half what it was new. It's is due about 3,000.00 in routine maintenance soon. It is common to need a 4,000.00ish repair on gaskets about 120,000 miles. The brakes and rotors were 600.00 for parts this year, oil changes and tire rotations are hundreds at the Lexus dealership and a couple hundred most everywhere else. Annual taxes are high in some states, in TN you pay the price initially and then tags cost you about 150.00 a year. If you drive an EV you already pay a 200.00 annual penalty tax here in TN.

Vehicles are a depreciating asset and cost a LOT more than people with disposable income recognise. Folks on tight budgets are REALLY feeling the pinch!

I was an aircraft mechanic my first ten years in the military and rebuilt stuff with my adopted dad when he adopted me at 13. I know how to do most routine stuff. These days we are blessed to be able to keep the economy rolling by paying someone to do the labor. I do not expect the labor by some backyard mechanic, doing it myself would land me in the bed or recliner for a few days. I expect it to be fixed right the first time and that knowledge and the tools are not cheap!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    Honda interval is 10,000 miles. Two covers more than the 20,000 I'm driving these days. Oil changes every 3,000 miles are so old school. Who runs dino oil these days in vehciles from this decade? Or are you running some old POS Honda?
    Every mechanic I know or have watched on Youtube say go ahead with 10K oil changes if you lease or trade often. If you keep a vehicle like Cobb then 5K oil changes are suggested. The 10K oil changes are with none of the adverse driving conditions listed in the owners manual.

Sadly I have not see much more money on trade for a vehicle with immaculate maintenance records. Most folks just want to know how much is the payment. Those folks are seeing that that routine maintenance cost mucho bucks. I am sure you remember the old saying "You can pay me now or you can pay me later".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast