Is 14.4v too high?

175 Opti Pro XS s/n 2b399702

At first I was having low voltage issues. Don (and previous posts) helped me with lots of troubleshooting and narrowed it down to the alternator. Not until I pulled the forward mount bolt did I find a fair bit of corrosion on the ground wire. Went ahead and finished pulling it off, cleaned, and treated corrosion. Decided to give it a try. Well, my dumb self didn’t disconnect the battery and when I was going to put the red wire on, I arced it across something. Not a lot- just a good little “tick”. Finally got it all put back together. Now, at 1000 rpm, I am getting 14.4 volts.
    Did cleaning that corrosion make everything wonderful or did that arc fry something giving me an over volt situation?
    thanks!

2. Member
    need to retest at a higher rpm.
    retest at 3000 if it stays at 14.4 you win!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by massbays View Post
    need to retest at a higher rpm.
    retest at 3000 if it stays at 14.4 you win!
    I WIN!!! And the whole neighborhood knows it! LOL!
    Thanks!

4. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving your thread to the appropriate (2.5L) forum.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor