Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Replacing Smartcraft SC-1000 w/ VesselView Link + Lowrance

150 4s, S/N 2B181067

Currently have SC-1000 gauges (System Tach + Speedometer) connected to said engine.
    Came on a good deal on a Lowrance HDS 7 Carbon that will fit well exactly where my gauges are now.

My thought is to remove the SC-1000's and add VesselView Link and this HDS Carbon into my current 2 Carbon Setup.
    Already have NEMA2000 Network, so should be easy to install. Can even get the dash panel from Ranger for this unit still; couldn't be more plug and play.

My concern, I have not seen in the operator manual for the VVLink, or in any videos I have watched online whether I will still have the resettable Fuel Used capability that the SC-1000's give me if I go to this as my instrumentation.

I do have the paddle/fuel harness connected to the engine, so the fuel gauge works on the SC-1000's, and I expect it will on the VVLink display on the Lowrance as well.
    But, we all know fuel gauges in boats are approximately accurate...I like knowing I have a 34 gallon tank, I filled it, and knowing how much fuel I have burned since reset.
    Not having resettable fuel used would be a deal breaker for me.

Either point me at the details online and I will read up on it some more, or let me know if this feature is available in the VVLink. Thanks.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

I have a similar setup and use the fuel harness for the fuel gauge.
    You need the VVL you will need to extend the nmea2000 to the vvl and on the carbon under fuel you choose vessel setup then you choose fuel tank level sensor but this after you have setup the vvl (very easy)
    Don't forget to enable VV under: Settings-Advanced-Features-VV enable
    Take a look at the pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyandre View Post
    I have a similar setup and use the fuel harness for the fuel gauge.
    You need the VVL you will need to extend the nmea2000 to the vvl and on the carbon under fuel you choose vessel setup then you choose fuel tank level sensor but this after you have setup the vvl (very easy)
    Don't forget to enable VV under: Settings-Advanced-Features-VV enable
    Take a look at the pic
    Yes, I know how to install the VVL and get it connected to the NEMA2000 and SmartCraft network.

But, once it is running, is there a "Fuel Used" on the VV Display, like there is in the SC1000
    Was reading the VVL Operators Manual more at lunch today, maybe the answer is set up an Unmonitored Fuel Tank with Capacity = 34 gallons...then just reset it after filling; and it should calculate fuel remaining based on what is burnt in engine?

Yes you can have fuel use but for my part I prefer fuel left and it’s quite accurate. I don’t mess with adding fuel in the settings
    If you go inetwork,source,motor or vessel I’m not sure you can view all the possibilities for fuel. I’m not sitting in front or in my boat so I use my old memory

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    My understanding is that you can do that for fuel used. Data on the 150 should be quite accurate for your needs.

"Extending" your NMEA-2K network will likely involve adding a tee under the console in between two existing tees, or at the end of a stack (and moving the resistor to the new "end").

Rhonda can assist you with what you need- see her post, pinned at the top of the Forum for Parts/Accessories assistance. You would likely ONLY need the Vessel View LINK.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks Don; I assume by “you can do that for fuel used” you mean there is a fuel used meter? Or were you referring to the strategy I mentioned in post #3? Just trying to clarify?

is this even worth doing? My main motivation was to get as good or better engine monitoring, and have a little extra screen real estate when hunting for fish?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Thanks Don; I assume by “you can do that for fuel used” you mean there is a fuel used meter? Or were you referring to the strategy I mentioned in post #3? Just trying to clarify?

is this even worth doing? My main motivation was to get as good or better engine monitoring, and have a little extra screen real estate when hunting for fish?
    I do exactly what you want to and it is very, very precise. I won't presume to know how on your 4-stroke, but with my 2.5L Optimax fuel used is provided by the computer and based on injector pulses. Fuel used via Smartcraft is within 2% of actual, my personal experience is within 1/2gal when refueling. I can't imagine Mercury would have eliminated that feature for the 4-strokes.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    I do exactly what you want to and it is very, very precise. I won't presume to know how on your 4-stroke, but with my 2.5L Optimax fuel used is provided by the computer and based on injector pulses. Fuel used via Smartcraft is within 2% of actual, my personal experience is within 1/2gal when refueling. I can't imagine Mercury would have eliminated that feature for the 4-strokes.
    I already have SmartCraft SC1000 System Tach and Speedometer.
    It has fuel used feature, and is super accurate.

I want to replace these gauges with a Lowrance Unit and VesselView Link (but don’t yet have it).

In all the literature I find about VesserView and VesselView Link, (the operators manual), I see no description of Fuel Used display like exists on the SC1000. I rely on the fuel used…and thus will not purchase the things needed to replace my gauges if this feature is not there. That is my question…Does VesselView link have a resettable Fuel Used.
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 01-28-2024 at 08:52 AM.

Yes can use fuel use has I wrote before. Take a look at the pic,its from vv link operation manual
    On your Lowrance you go to fuel and choose fuel use by engine.
    I post a pic of my Lowrance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wallyandre; 01-28-2024 at 06:07 PM.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks, Andre- that's what we were looking for!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyandre View Post
    Yes can use fuel use has I wrote before. Take a look at the pic,its from vv link operation manual
    On your Lowrance you go to fuel and choose fuel use by engine.
    I post a pic of my Lowrance
    Yes, agree this looks like the way it is done on the VVL...not exactly the same, seems to correspond to my proposal in Post #3, which would be tell the Unit to ignore the fuel sender in the tank, and calculate remaining fuel based on fuel burnt from the engine.
    Unclear how this is reset (or you tell the unit that you added fuel)...but there must be a way to do it

Yes, agree this looks like the way it is done on the VVL...not exactly the same, seems to correspond to my proposal in Post #3, which would be tell the Unit to ignore the fuel sender in the tank, and calculate remaining fuel based on fuel burnt from the engine.
    Unclear how this is reset (or you tell the unit that you added fuel)...but there must be a way to do it
    Yes you need to add the fuel in the setting

13. Member
    Ok, another question has arisen on my quest to replace the SC1000 System Tach and Speedo w/ VVL and an Lowrance.

Admittedly, I am not at my boat right now, as it is in winter storage, but I am thinking and planning for when I take her out and want to make sure I have all the stuff I need on hand for project day.

Original Thought was that I would:
    - Unplug the System Tach and Speedo from the J-Box, and remove them (along with their connected System Link SC-100 gauges)
    - Plug the VVL Harness into the J-Box, Connect it to my NEMA 2K network
    - Install the new HDS Live and connect it to my NEMA 2K network as well
    - Done...Now gauges are on all my NEMA Connected Lowrance units (three).

I believe this will work; but:
    - System Speedo currently has a Temp Sensor connected to the harness to read Air Temperature

I ordered VVL Kit P/N 8M0110639 containing the VVL Wiring Harness P/N 8M011670, which has no Temp Sensor Connector.

Where do I connect the temp sensor now? Do I need a different VVL Wiring Harness, if so, what is the P/N?

Also, I hope the warning horn is connected to the Vessel Harness vs. the System Tach harness, or this will be a problem as well, but should be able to move it there if it is on the Tach Harness now, right?

Lastly, probably need weather caps for the the now empty J-Box port vacated by the Speedo Harness?
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 02-28-2024 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added another question.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Michael: Where did all of these components originate/come from? Customarily, the selling dealer should assist you with making sure you get the correct components that you need.

System Link is not used with VesselView Link. Neither is the air temp sensor. Those items would need to remain on an SC1000 system.

You do not move or relocate your warning horn. It should be on the KEYSWITCH harness (not any of the Smartcraft harnesses, which is a location reserved for a LOW DEPTH warning, if you're running a Smartcraft Depth Transducer).

15. Member
    VVL ordered from Cabela’s (because I received a Bass Pro gift card from work), and Their guys are not super experienced with this stuff…I can call again, but didn’t get much love the first time.

But, net, you have confirmed no way to get air temp w/ out SC-1000 Speedo. All good, will go without it or add a NEMA-2000 temp sensor if I want air temp.

Info Below from my online research — not confirmed by Don, could be wrong:
    Found this, which implies using something called the “VesselView4” harness and the “VesselviewMFD” harness, <See Announcements>

Merc’s own product literature implies Link Gauges can be used, with same wording referencing VesselView4 harness. <See Announcements> near the bottom of first column of txt.

After a bit more searching, seems the P/N’s needed are:
    8M0075065 VesselView MFD Harness
    8M0077066 VesselView4 Harness

All that said, guessing Lowrance’s $100 NEMA 2k temp sensor is the least expensive way to get there, and my helm will have no room for any gauges after I’m done anyway.

Thanks for answering my question!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 02-29-2024 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Added VV MFD and VV 4 Harness P/N

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Cabela's is an authorized Mercury Dealer- so we will be glad to assist with that product.

VesselView Link should be plugging into a Junction Box (or possibly a Junction Adapter- if that's the case, please advise) under the console.

VesselView LINK has it's own harness, and you cannot substitute harnesses from other components such as the VV4 or MFD harnesses. The VesselView LINK harness is separate and different, of and to itself. VesselView Link SPECIFICALLY does not support system link product.

All of your research that refers to VV4 is for a separate device, so there's not much sense in relying on that.

IF you have a J-box (actually... even if you don't, and we add one), you can KEEP the SC1000 instrument, AND the temp sensor, AND the system links, all functioning through that device. It has access to the VVL data and the VVL has access to it's data as well. Based on what you've described, this would be your best option, even if you had to purchase a J-box and/or a harness.

So: How/what did your connections for the SC-1000 look like (specifically the 10-pin connection)?

17. Member
    Yes, have a J-Box at dash, mentioned that in post #13, that is where my SC-1000's are plugged now.
    Realize I can keep them and the temp, but have no room at the helm to mount them after this mod, so they are going away.

Intend to plug VVL harness to that J-Box.

So, net, Since I don't have room at the helm anymore for any gauges after this mod...I'll skip the Air Temp, or go NEMA2k sensor...

Unless I decide to keep all my gauges and do a RAM mount for my HDS Live that I am adding...then I can keep it all, one of my J-Box Ports is open w/ only a weather cap (hoping it is not a terminator, again, boat in storage right now, can't remember)...which is another option..orig plan was a flush mount in place of my gauges...always feel a flush mount is a bit more "theft resistant" than a ram...but...may have to go there.

Sorry about posting the links to outside websites above...appreciate the help.
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 02-29-2024 at 12:06 PM.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Michael- please read #16 again. Cabellas IS an Authorized Mercury Dealer, if you purchased parts from them we are more than happy to provide support for those OEM dealer supplied components.

Simply please avoid posting links to other (competitive) forums, this forum is here to provide assistance/support for Mercury/Quicksilver components that are purchased through ANY authorized Mercury Dealer.

Give #16 a quick re-read, there's some advise contained there that may potentially save you a lot of headaches and money in the end.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    So: How/what did your connections for the SC-1000 look like (specifically the 10-pin connection)?
    I mentioned in Post #13 kit came with P/N 8M011670:

• Has the classic female purple SC connector labeled J box on one end
    • Has a barrel connector to go to VVL labeled VVLink
    • Has a female purple SC connector with only 2 wires (red/black) marked VesselView display, which I assume is to power on a Merc Branded Vesselview 4xx, 5xx, 7xx, 9xx series display on key up? Likely goes unused in my instance. Do I weather Cap it? Would need a Male weather cap.

I ordered VVL Kit P/N 8M0110639 containing the VVL Wiring Harness P/N 8M011670, which has no Temp Sensor Connector.
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Michael- please read #16 again. Cabellas IS an Authorized Mercury Dealer, if you purchased parts from them we are more than happy to provide support for those OEM dealer supplied components.

Simply please avoid posting links to other (competitive) forums, this forum is here to provide assistance/support for Mercury/Quicksilver components that are purchased through ANY authorized Mercury Dealer.

Give #16 a quick re-read, there's some advise contained there that may potentially save you a lot of headaches and money in the end.
    I hit the post button too fast before I was done editing what I wanted to say in post 17..you probably caught the interim post...if you don't mind re-reading post #17 now, I think we are on the same page...and I do appreciate the help you so willingly give...I was intentional to purchase this from an Auth merc dealer (would have been you aside from the gift card) so I could come here for the knowledge.

If I go w/ a NEMA2k temp sensor, you are likely to get an order if you can order Lowrance stuff. Gonna be a few weeks before i get the boat out of winter storage...weather is not the issue, my broken leg is.

Thank you again for being the best! Appreicate you.
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 02-29-2024 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added description and quote re the SC harness that came in the VVL kit.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's see if your VesselView Link contained the Instruction Booklet, which displays Part# 90-8M0127924 in the lower left corner?

Page one shows the kit contents, and the harness has a 10-pin connector for the J-Box and a barrel connector for the VesselView Link.

There's also another 10-pin connector (which has a dust cap on it), a NMEA-2000 Tee, a NMEA-2000 Extension Harness, and four screws.

Page 3 & 4 cover the connections of the harnesses.

If you still have questions, please feel free to ask (if you don't have the instructions, you'll really want a set to keep with your important documentation anyway).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast