Thread: DHL Walleye

DHL Walleye

Crappie and walleye fisherman are probably the most tight lipped people out there. Usually by early May when I’m launching at Dale Hollow at day break to bass fish the walleye guys are just coming off the water. They all say they have limits. I’m really curious how they are targeting them. There is no shortage of walleye in DHL. There are millions. I’ve seen folks out there with green lights sitting there stationary. Are these the walleye guys? Really curious on the tactics. I know the shad spawn is right around the same time. Any insight?
    Basscat!

2. Member
    As to your question I have no idea. Interestingly I was fishing Dale at night many years ago and was pulled over by TWRA. This was late March/early April. I had entered a section of the lake where they had set up to catch some guys netting walleye. He said the same thing, that the lake was loaded with them.

3. Moderator
    I have a friend that fishes for walleye on Dale almost exclusively. They pretty much only troll crankbaits at night. He used to cast and pop swimbaits for them but doesn't do that anymore. You are correct that people are extremely tight lip about it and honestly for good reason. The lake is so crowded anymore it's almost unbearable. Yes some people fish for them under lights but mostly that is crappie fisherman. They get the minnows/shad up and then you catch the crappie in the dark area around the lights.

4. Member
    We trolled during the day with boards and ya, crankbaits. Seemed like they really liked the rapala scatter raps in shad pattern on the boards with a keel weight of 5/8 out in front of it. And they are big. Much bigger than that of most places. But then again, we caught alot of suspended largemouth and smallmouth, nice fish, 3-5 lbs all trolling. DH has a real diverse fishery and getting a houseboat was the way to go there. You get to spend so much more actual time fishing.