Blown head gasket

My granson 1989 ford ranger 4 cyl blew a head gasket, friend told me try head gasket sealer, there's blue devil an other sealers, thought it would be worth a try if anything else, just to get it home, need help, opinions please thanks

That stuff can work on small leaks but it’s always best to pull the head, check for flatness of the cylinder deck and cylinder head then replace with a new gasket. 4 cylinders are pretty easy to do. You won’t even have to pull the intake/exhaust manifolds if you are strong enough or have a cherry picker. I always stay away from stop leak products as they have the potential to clog the radiator/heater core and creat further problems like overheating and blowing the head gasket warping a head etc :/

If you have a U-Haul locally you could rent a truck and trailer for the day for probably less than $100 depending on the mileage between traveling distances. If you have a truck you can rent just the trailer to haul the truck for less than $30 for 24 hours.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 05-11-2024 at 03:58 PM.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    If that is the 2.3 L motor pulling the head is “easy” as these things go.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    That stuff can work on small leaks but it’s always best to pull the head, check for flatness of the cylinder deck and cylinder head then replace with a new gasket. 4 cylinders are pretty easy to do. You won’t even have to pull the intake/exhaust manifolds if you are strong enough or have a cherry picker. I always stay away from stop leak products as they have the potential to clog the radiator/heater core and creat further problems like overheating and blowing the head gasket warping a head etc :/

If you have a U-Haul locally you could rent a truck and trailer for the day for probably less than $100 depending on the mileage between traveling distances. If you have a truck you can rent just the trailer to haul the truck for less than $30 for 24 hours.

5. Member
    How do you know it's a head gasket without inspecting? You could try some sealer product to limp it home, but like said they can cause other problems.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    How do you know it's a head gasket without inspecting? You could try some sealer product to limp it home, but like said they can cause other problems.
    white smoke coming out of tail pipe

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
    white smoke coming out of tail pipe
    Head gasket, cracked head or block, intake manifold leak on some engines etc.

All the head gasket sealers do is mess the cooling system up, for when you do the head gasket repair. The 4 cylinder will be easy to fix. No need to put magic potion in. I own the same truck! Best vehicle I ever owned.

Do what basscat21 recommends!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    one of the simplest engine made still easy to work on also! that being said, i have seen this stuff work miracles also and might be worth a try to buy some time? https://www.amazon.com/K-Seal-ST5501...c-6ce62808241a
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I once replaced the #1 piston on one of these engines by pulling the head and dropping the oil pan. All in a parking lot! And I am not a mechanic by any definition.

A quick fix that may work but can also gum up the cooling system. Best to take the time to do it right and resurface the head and do a valve job while it's removed. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by gaston13 View Post
    A quick fix that may work but can also gum up the cooling system. Best to take the time to do it right and resurface the head and do a valve job while it's removed. good luck
    Yes Sir! The correct way!

14. Member
    very few times in the history of the world when something is wrong with a motor you can pour some mixture out of a can or bottle to fix it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    very few times in the history of the world when something is wrong with a motor you can pour some mixture out of a can or bottle to fix it.
    This is very true, and yet Ford,Mopar,and Gm all had some formula of there own installed at the factory. It was used at the dealer with a flush and refill. GM had a type of "tablet" that dissolved in the system, Mopar had a tube of powder etc. There have been many a farm tractor kept running with Bars leak in the system. Prestone had it in there premium antifreeze at one time.

16. Member
    gm has used cooling system stop leak tablets for 20-30 yrs now--comes in the car new from factory aluminum blocks
    Last edited by mactlman; 05-12-2024 at 03:20 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

17. Member
    Not a reliable fix.

18. Member
    I know that there were lot's of cars in the 60's and 70's from H.S. with black pepper in the radiator, the problem with all of these was if a little is good then a whole lot is better when problems started.