Thread: Weiss Lake

Weiss Lake

The family and I are taking a vacation for a few days at Weiss lake towards the later part or May. We are staying at Chesnut Bay Resort. Anyone willing to give me any info/pointers on the lake, saw that it is know for the crappie fishing would really love to take the family on the boat and let them catch some, any help will be greatly appreciated.
    2006 Ranger Z21
    2006 Evinrude Etec 225 HO
    2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 5.9l Diesel 6-spd manual trans

2. Member
    Be very careful where you run there. Great place to tear a boat up.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

Weiss is good lake but can be a challenge to run. You MUST have good mapping with depth shading IMO or at least the channels highlighted. There are a couple of trees in the channel too but they are sticking up. There are many areas of the lake that seem to be open and runnable but do not be deceived. Keep your speed slow until you figure it all out.

Shallow crankbaits, carolina rigged brush hogs, tx rigged u-vibe speed worms, swim jigs, and shakey head have all worked for me. Try a buzz bait. Sometimes a space monkey (tx rigged) works when the bass are picky. The bass seem to like red colored plastics there…red bug, watermelon red, red shad etc. Green Pumpkin is always a player too. Fish docks, especially willow grass near docks on the main channels and around some of the islands (with and without grass or wood).

I cannot help with crappie…

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    As noted above, one of the best places in the SE to do damage to your boat. Mapping with contours is a strong need for a first time visit unless you stay in the channels 100% of the time. Only comment on Crappie suggestion is perhaps some trolling in the channels as they won't be shallow that late into May. Have a meal here, you won't be disappointed. Get there early or late. it's a busy place. https://www.tonyssteakbarn.com/

5. Member
    Thanks guys, I'll take any advice on the place regardless of what it is aimed towards, and I really appreciate the eating advice lol. I did pull up the maps on it and it did look pretty slim and really shady with the obstructions and the shallow plateaus.
    2006 Ranger Z21
    2006 Evinrude Etec 225 HO
    2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 5.9l Diesel 6-spd manual trans