Ranger z518 w/200 Merc Pro XS and no jack plate - what prop(s) you guys running?

My top speed is about 62-63 @ 5750-5800 rpm with the 22P 3-blade Fury that came with my boat. Can’t say it performs poorly- overall it’s a decent prop but I can’t help but wonder what a lower pitch prop might do for my performance. I’ve already redistributed the weight of storage items as much as I can by placing as much heavy stuff in the rear storage compartments. I feel like this hull would benefit from a prop that provides more bow lift, so I was thinking about trying a 22P or 21p Tempest. Plus, I’ve got a few hundred RPM left to play with. I’m at almost max trim to get up to top speed.

anyone else with this boat and no jack plate care to share their prop experiences with me?
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

2. Member
    I have the same boat , 22 model as well. It definitely needs lift. I’m running the 22fury also.

Before I put the 8” slidemaster on it I was getting the same speeds as you, maybe 63-64 but RPMs are exactly the same
    after the plate I get exactly the same results, lol

I live in North Ga, my local lake full elevation is 1071 in the winter time I can run mid 60’s, a few weeks ago I went down to lake Eufaula Alabama and touched 68. Im thinking I need a 21 tempest but I can’t make myself pay the money just yet.

summertime I do good to run 55

3. Member
    Thanks for sharing @duckhawk. I think most of the local Ohio lakes I fish are at around 750-950 elevation. I just have this gut feeling that a 22p tempest will give me more bow lift which would allow a little higher rpm’s and speed. But the cost of props is insane now. I remember being able to buy a new Tempest for $400 not too long ago (less than 10 years ago.). It’s hard to want to pull the trigger on a new prop and then find out you need a slightly different pitch.

I can generally always hit 61 mph even in the summer. However, I don’t have poles and my boat is a single console.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    Thanks for sharing @duckhawk. I think most of the local Ohio lakes I fish are at around 750-950 elevation. I just have this gut feeling that a 22p tempest will give me more bow lift which would allow a little higher rpm’s and speed. But the cost of props is insane now. I remember being able to buy a new Tempest for $400 not too long ago (less than 10 years ago.). It’s hard to want to pull the trigger on a new prop and then find out you need a slightly different pitch.

I can generally always hit 61 mph even in the summer. However, I don’t have poles and my boat is a single console.
    have you called marks propellors? he make 3 props and they are a little more reasonably priced also--plus his advice is priceless

throttle body upgrade would help a lot also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    have you called marks propellors? he make 3 props and they are a little more reasonably priced also--plus his advice is priceless

throttle body upgrade would help a lot also
    that’s a good idea. I will call him. Thx