Patoka Lake. Not good.

Went there yesterday for the first time in a while. Caught 1 small catfish and half a dozen little stripers about 6 inches long. Had to try to stay tucked away as much as possible to avoid the washing machine main water. It was covered with big horsepower tri-tunes and other big boats and this was on Friday and not actually a weekend!

Spoke to a couple guys who were there to fish and was told by them both that catching anything was an oddity right now but the last guy I spoke with told me his UPS driver was telling him the lake was now on fire and that a recent event had as much as 25 pound entries. Is it just me? Do I not know what I'm doing any more? Or what is the deal? Please give me your opinion on the lake as it is now.

2. Member
    I had a tournament there 3 weeks ago. Had 3 keepers and a few missed opportunities. It’s fishing the exact same as it has the last 5 years. Could be good could be really bad. I wish they would flood everything about 4’ above summer pool and leave it there.

3. Member
    Patoka is just tough. The population just isn’t what it once was. If this grass will take hold it will come back. If you can get 5 bites in a day you’ve done well. The best on the lake is capable of going out there and zeroing. That’s a fact.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    Patoka is just tough. The population just isn’t what it once was. If this grass will take hold it will come back. If you can get 5 bites in a day you’ve done well. The best on the lake is capable of going out there and zeroing. That’s a fact.
    I can't forsee the growth of new vegetation of any kind as long as there are continuous wakes throughout the day of up to 5 feet high. Our washing machine never grows anything in the bottom.

We used to catch a lot of fish there back in the day even though none were very big and we talked back then about how some day they would not only be plentiful but much larger. Since then fishing has become a secondary or even lower priority and pleasure boating of all kinds has taken over because it puts more money in certain pockets. It's funny, because when this lake was first proposed fishing was at the top of the list. Oh well, I guess there is just no such thing as sticking to original plans any more.

5. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I'm one who has always said the lack of weeds has hurt fishing at Patoka. I really think that's true. The question is, other reservoirs had no weeds to speak of and fish can still be caught, why not at Patoka?
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    I'm one who has always said the lack of weeds has hurt fishing at Patoka. I really think that's true. The question is, other reservoirs had no weeds to speak of and fish can still be caught, why not at Patoka?
    Just my opinion here, but I think there are grass lakes and non grass lake. Lakes that never and never will have grass, are just fine. That’s what they are.

Lakes that are historically grass lakes (Patoka included) when it’s gone it’s devastating. I’m have no scientific evidence to back it up, but you see it all across the country. It’s almost like the don’t ever have grass have other minerals or something in the water to account for that.

Again just speculation from years of observation, but that does seem to hold true across the country. Would to get experts thoughts on this.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    My guess is more fish are suspending up with no cover.. People are not adjusting with the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    My guess is more fish are suspending up with no cover.. People are not adjusting with the fish.
    Exactly, idiots like me still try to catch them how I used to instead of changing it up. The amount of 3 lb plus fish I've actually seen with my eyes when they were up to spawn was just mind blowing. They're in there, no doubt about it.

9. Member
    We had our annual two day club tournament several weeks ago and it was tough. However I caught several each day. There is some grass especially deeper grass, you have to use your electronics to find it though. I had to fish much deeper than I ever have there and used live a bunch.

10. Member
    I was just there, grass out to 10ft, however the fine IN DNR sprayed all of it.

11. Member
    Has anyone called the DNR to ask why the grass is being sprayed?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rude150 View Post
    Has anyone called the DNR to ask why the grass is being sprayed?
    The grass is not being sprayed. Due to some kind of Corp of Engineers policy, they had the lake level up for 3-4 years and all of the grass died. The lake got up around 10' above pool and they could only pull 0.1' per day and about every time they got it down a little it would rain again.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardestyeric View Post
    The grass is not being sprayed. Due to some kind of Corp of Engineers policy, they had the lake level up for 3-4 years and all of the grass died. The lake got up around 10' above pool and they could only pull 0.1' per day and about every time they got it down a little it would rain again.
    Eric, It's all dead, ask Sean. There was grass out to 10ft. FYI- Congrats on your win!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emerson biggens View Post
    Eric, It's all dead, ask Sean. There was grass out to 10ft. FYI- Congrats on your win!
    Thank you. Sean said the same thing you are saying, but I've never heard of our DNR spending that kind of money on anything but stocking stripers or walleye's.
    I was on Lamb lake this past weekend and it has some dead grass in it as well and it hasn't been sprayed.

Screenshot_20230821-143455_Samsung Internet.jpg

Still a few fish being caught there. Hoosier Open results from the 13th for those that haven't seen them.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Screenshot_20230821-143455_Samsung Internet.jpg

Still a few fish being caught there. Hoosier Open results from the 13th for those that haven't seen them.
    Thats better than I expected