200 Proxs starting Battery mecruy minimum specs

I know there is the battery post but i have not picked up my boat and I tried to look online but can someone post what Mercury minimum starting battery requirements are for non lithium for the 200 proxs. From reading the post it appears that the min cca is 975 and mercury wants you to use an AGM. Not sure why AGM is a requirement vs just plain old lead acid, I mean I know the advantages etc but the AGM's they have listed are $$ and at that price not that far below lithium.

What are folks running as starters that are not lithium, thanks.

2. Member
    1000 amp or so. Agm is what came in mine

look in the top section under frequently asked questions. I believe there’s a thread about batteries up there.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    1000 amp or so. Agm is what came in mine

look in the top section under frequently asked questions. I believe there’s a thread about batteries up there.
    Yes I read that but I was hoping for what was called out specifically for the 200 Proxs, they mentioned 975cca and AGM requirement and now I guess they allow Lithium starters but I was just curious what the actually called out for that engine.

4. Member
    Last edited by mactlman; 05-14-2024 at 05:39 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bishoptf View Post
    Yes I read that but I was hoping for what was called out specifically for the 200 Proxs, they mentioned 975cca and AGM requirement and now I guess they allow Lithium starters but I was just curious what the actually called out for that engine.
    Re-read the post. I strongly recommend AGM and a minimum of 975 CCA (you WILL find conflicting information on this topic, even in service literature).

Also keep in mind that the Lithium spec listed is ENGINE ONLY. No accessories, pumps, graphs, livewells, etc. Some are buying two lithiums to provide ample capacity.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Re-read the post. I strongly recommend AGM and a minimum of 975 CCA (you WILL find conflicting information on this topic, even in service literature).

Also keep in mind that the Lithium spec listed is ENGINE ONLY. No accessories, pumps, graphs, livewells, etc. Some are buying two lithiums to provide ample capacity.
    Yeah I was just curious what was listed in the mercury handbook for a 200 Proxs. Most of all my other stuff graphs, etc will be running off another lithium battery and not the starting battery. Looks like basspro includes batteries in the new boat so I guess I will see what they include but I bet the starting battery will not be an AGM but I guess we will see.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bishoptf View Post
    Yeah I was just curious what was listed in the mercury handbook for a 200 Proxs. Most of all my other stuff graphs, etc will be running off another lithium battery and not the starting battery. Looks like basspro includes batteries in the new boat so I guess I will see what they include but I bet the starting battery will not be an AGM but I guess we will see.
    You're wasting your time with that. I'd wager a guess that 50% of the boats there have a battery that meets the MINIMUM SPECIFICATION FOR THE ENGINE (alone). And they'll rig an extra 30 amps of gizmos in it if you want, too.

Read the thread at the top of the forum. It has the requirements right there for you.

Also printed in the Engine Owner's Manual and Service Manual.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Not saying do this, but I have an almost 7 year old Walmart Deep cycle 690 MCA on my 200 V8. Running two livewells, 2 Garmin 93 sv's and power poles all day in tournaments. Have zero issue with boat starting up even after fishing all day without firing engine up. Talk about being under spec and an old battery yet no issues so the Merc can't be THAT picky.

I would rather lead over AGM due to price.
    2002 Tr-19/24 200 Merc ProXs

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton420 View Post
    Not saying do this, but I have an almost 7 year old Walmart Deep cycle 690 MCA on my 200 V8. Running two livewells, 2 Garmin 93 sv's and power poles all day in tournaments. Have zero issue with boat starting up even after fishing all day without firing engine up. Talk about being under spec and an old battery yet no issues so the Merc can't be THAT picky.

I would rather lead over AGM due to price.
    Do you keep it on a charger continously between use?
    2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare
    2019 Mercury 300R Serial# 1E080852
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax