HDS 12 Gen 2 Power Button

My unit was bought new in 2015. Always worked fine but over the weekend I could not get the unit to power off. When you cut power to unit from battery breaker and turn back on it automatically is on without me pressing the button to turn on. It did rain while I was out but I would think this has nothing to do with the power button. Any ideas on what to try. The reset deal don’t seem to work when you can’t use the power button.

2. Member
    I had the same issue with my hds gen 2 12. it was the power on button on the front bezel strip, the micro connector strip from the power on button was burnt to the mother board. I think heavy rain was the cause.

3. Member
    Thanks for your reply yea I have had mine in rain several times over the years. I contacted Lowrance they basically told me it’s not worth fixing be better off to buy a new one. So I guess I got a 2,500$ disposable graph. Always used Lowrance but cmon man you should get years of service for that kind of money. Ok done.

The power strip is the weak point on the HDS Gen2 units, Lowrance redesigned it on the Gen3’s and went back to the more robust style used on the button units.
    I have repaired a few of these by carefully slicing around edge of the plastic covering with an exacto knife. Just remove enough of the plastic bubble to gain access to the small metal connector (do not completely remove the plastic bubble). Remove the cupped switch contact and using the exacto knife, carefully scrape and clean the top of the metal contacts. Replace the cupped upper contact and reseal the plastic covering with scotch tape.

It is sometimes necessary to put some solid backing on the switch so the little cup switch contacts can spring back when released. I use one of these sticky dots behind each switch position.
    If you want to try this and need help, just PM me. I will help any way I can.

Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 05-12-2024 at 08:50 PM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    Hello Bill…. that’s awesome info right there. Of course I’m gonna try this fix, nice detailed instructions. I figure I have nothing to lose at this point. Thanks for sharing

I forgot to mention that I do the exacto blade work under a magnifying light but I have old eyes.
    A couple tips:
    Once you remove the rubber cover, examine the switch components under a magnifying glass. Moisture under the switch bubble will normally show as a black film on the lower contact surface. This is what you have to scrape off.
    the lights above each switch location should be on. This indicates power to that switch location.
    If the switch ribbon does not look bad to you, there is a way to test it.
    I modified a section of Lowrance Ethernet cable by adding a RJ45 jack so I could hook it to a standard router. This allows me to connect my iPad to the HDS unit via the Lowrance Link app. If the physical switches fail to work but the soft switches on the iPad do then the switch ribbon or connection to the motherboard is bad.
    If you have to perform this test, contact me and I will help with the details.

This PDF will be helpful:

I have a good switch ribbon for an HDS9 but do not know if it is the same length as the 12 inch unit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

7. Member
    Hi Bill,
    I am having this problem with BOTH of my HDS 12 Gen 2 touch units, after they were used during a heavy downpour. I would like to try your fix, but want to be absolutely correct on what I am doing. At your convenience, could you give me a call at (585)339-8680? it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    Dave

8. Member
    It happened to one of mine. I got lucky and found the bezel on ebay.

9. Member
    Thanks Bill I was able to fix my power button following your suggestions. HDS 12 Gen 2

Quote Originally Posted by Warcat View Post
    Thanks Bill I was able to fix my power button following your suggestions. HDS 12 Gen 2
    You are welcome. Glad it worked out for you.
    I have changed over to Garmin and sold out most of my repair parts but I still have 2 HDS9T bezels and keypads, 2 Lowrance Ethernet cables and one HDS9 screen in my parts bin. I will sell these individually or as a lot.
    I also have a 12V WIFI router with a Lowrance Ethernet cable that I will sell. This is a DIY “Go-Free” module that allows you to view and control your HDS unit on a tablet or smart phone. I used it for diagnosing button problems on Lowrance units.
    This PDF describes the unit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

11. Member
    Great info Bill! Same problem here with HDS 12 Gen 2. Going to try this. Do you need to open the case before cutting the button cover?
    Thanks!