Ontario Catch and Release St Lawrence/Lake Ontatrio

Looking at going up the first week of May for the catch and release season this year. Are the fish generally shallow this time of year or still fairly deep? Just looking for some ideas on starting points no specific info. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Well, first piece of advice would be to reschedule the trip because there no catch and release season for bass on northern Lake Ontario (Jefferson county) and St Lawrence River (Jefferson, St Lawrence County).

Targeting bass, even just catch and release, before June 15th is prohibited in Jefferson, Hamilton, St Lawrence, and Franklin counties.

pages 35 and 37 in the 2024 regulation guidebook.

it sucks, but they patrol they’re heavily and don’t buy the line “we’re just pike fishing” that some suggest to use. That time of year though they’ll be deep, my guess is water temps would be in the 40s.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 03-22-2024 at 11:44 AM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    There is one on the Ontario side of the border and that is what I am referring to.

4. Member
    Gotcha, I didn’t know you meant fishing the Canadian waters
    1995 Ranger 481v

5. Member
    I thought there was no catch and release season for bass in Ontario ?

6. Member
    Zone 20 has catch and release on the St Lawrence and Lake Ontario. If you look it up it is in the regulations. It is open until May 10th.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbassman View Post
    Zone 20 has catch and release on the St Lawrence and Lake Ontario. If you look it up it is in the regulations. It is open until May 10th.
    this is correct, just need to make sure you have all your Ontario licensure and make sure you don’t cast on the US side.
    1995 Ranger 481v

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbassman View Post
    Looking at going up the first week of May for the catch and release season this year. Are the fish generally shallow this time of year or still fairly deep? Just looking for some ideas on starting points no specific info. Thanks in advance.
    Gear up for both shallow (< 5 ft) and deep (> 25 ft) but my best results in the few times I've gone out at that time of year has been more deep. I don't recall catching smallies in the mid-range but you'll find pike that will destroy whatever you want to risk losing.

The water temps might get into the high 40s / low 50s in the more protected areas but don't expect more than mid-40s in the river itself. If you get a calm sunny day you might be able to see some early tanks roaming the shallows. Marabou jigs in any color you want as long as it is black will be good if you see some in the shallows.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax