Gelled optimax DFI oil

So just my two cents I’ve been getting low oil alarm, I checked the pick up on the tank and it was gummed cleaned it out filled reservoir ran about 20 miles and got another alarm. Low oil again, I pulled pick up again. I will try to attach pictures.
    I only use opti Dfi, I fill with a Clean funnel, and I am very meticulous about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I’ve been hearing a bunch of issues with the Mercury DFI oil jelling.

I’m planning on running mine through a screen before filling the boat tank from now on.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

keep rags and paper towels well away from the oils system, does not take many fibers or microfibers to actually cause this problem on the screens, cannot always be seen without a magnifier! Holding that pick-up tube with a towel is a No No. Will need to be decontaminated before use, all oil removed and blow dried, Consider just replacing the pickup tube.
    May not be gelling, could be the screen openings have become so small as they can no longer pass some of the thicker substances in the oil, giving the appearance of gelling.
    A very small amount of water intrusion will cause gelling as well. Strain the oil thru a reusable coffee filter to verify the oil is ok. If the flow slows down thru the filter or stops flowing before a gallon goes thru it, toss that oil, Clean the tank and refill with new oil.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    How do you recommend cleaning oil out of funnel, and other components? What type of coffee filter can I use because the ones I get are made out of paper similar to a paper towel? I think my plan is to skim that oil and clean the tank like you said. pick up tube and screen was just cleaned 20 miles probably less than a quart of oil on the trip before the oil on the bottom of the tank is gelled.
    The reason for the post is public service. It appears there has been a rash of this and I even saw a video of a guy opening a fresh jug of DFI and it being jelled.
    Do you think if it is water intrusion it would have more of a milky color?

5. Member
    Sorry to ask I am kind of ignorant! Does this go for automobile components also? What should I be checking the dipstick with?

Quote Originally Posted by Da guz View Post
    Sorry to ask I am kind of ignorant! Does this go for automobile components also? What should I be checking the dipstick with?
    Automotive is totaly different and quite forgiving in this nature.
    Optimax oil injection is very critical to be kept clean of any forgien matter,
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by Da guz View Post
    How do you recommend cleaning oil out of funnel, and other components? What type of coffee filter can I use because the ones I get are made out of paper similar to a paper towel? I think my plan is to skim that oil and clean the tank like you said. pick up tube and screen was just cleaned 20 miles probably less than a quart of oil on the trip before the oil on the bottom of the tank is gelled.
    The reason for the post is public service. It appears there has been a rash of this and I even saw a video of a guy opening a fresh jug of DFI and it being jelled.
    Do you think if it is water intrusion it would have more of a milky color?
    Reuseable filters are of similar mesh to the screen in the pickup tube, if it flows thru one of them as I described above, it will not coat the screens,
    Store you funnels upside down with a cap on the little end to keep dust out, when cleaning them I use carb cleaner and a air hose to rid it of oil film, then wash in hot soapy water & blow dry.
    I work on these motors every day and I have yet to see new oil gelled myself, it can happen setting on the shelf for long period of time, shake well before pouring is a good habit to have as a preventive measure.
    I am now keeping pick tubes on hand to replace them in some cases as labor cost can be more than the part cost,
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    This oil clogs more than just the screen. I have seen bleed hoses sealed tight with this DFI oil. Another reason I do not use it to many better options.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

9. Member
    + 1. ����

10. Member
    If this oil does settle in that short of a time, it is a problem! a lot of boats sit for extended periods of time and I can’t recall ever seeing a service bulletin about stirring or mixing your oil. The boat sat for a long time. Look up YouTube video bad Mercury optima oil.

11. Member
    Another good reason to use Pennzoil instead, I have never seen any oil gel like that.

12. Member
    Sure looks like moisture intrusion to me. I personally have never seen any Opti/DFI oil do that but I have seen other oils that were contaminated with moisture. Put in in a glass that can handle microwave and nuke it for 30 seconds until it gets hot. Watch for steam come off the glob and see if it goes back to liquid. If so you do have a moisture problem. And yes, I have done this test before on other oils and it works.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

13. Member
    I had exactly this same issue with the Opti DFI oil late last fall. It gelled on me 3 times within 1 month. Two different batches of quicksilver DFI oil. Cleaned the tank and new inline filter and it lasted maybe 3 trips and it was plugged again. After the 3rd time, I ditched the DFI oil and went to Pennzoil XLF. No more issues after switching to the Pennzoil.

Many people thought I have water intrusion in my oil as well. Went through quite a few tests and checked all the caps, deck fill everything.... Dry as a bone.

Dumped all my dfi oil and it s a damn shame at $65 a gallon. 2 pickup tubes and 3 in line oil filters later.

It's a shame that this DFI oil has gone so shitty in the last 6-12 months. No matter what Mercury is saying, there is a problem that they refuse to admit. I have used the Opti oil since the boat was new. Never any issues up until last summer/fall for me

14. Member
    I’m in the same boat as you guys, have had multiple issues with the Mercury DFI oil gelling. Recently had the compressor go out, and wondering if it’s related, being that the DFI oil lubricates the compressor bearings. Got compressor replaced, new oil pump, injectors serviced, etc. Took it out on the lake and remote tank wouldn’t fill. Removed the pickup screen and it was clogged with that gel/sludge. What kind of oil are you guys running now?

15. Member
    That’s hilarious that is my exact story it took a while to get the compressor and then set my fuel system to Don. I’m thinking it might be wise to stir the tank before use.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please read the Forum Announcements.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor