Trim motor/switch

I have a 1997 Champion bass boat with a 175 EFI (0G361770). Over the last month the trim-up wouldn't work occasionally when on plane (under pressure) until a slightly backed off a little. I thought it may be the trim motor and checked the fluid which was all good.

Yesterday the trim-up stopped working from the shifter/control unit. But it works fine from the engine and bow switches in both directions.

Today I switched the directional wires (blue and green) at the engine to test it. I tested it from the shifter/control unit, when I pressed the switch down it moved the motor up, when I pressed the switch up it didn't do anything.

Is the relay/solenoid bad or the switch at the shifter is bad?

Thanks for any info.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

2. Member
    shifter switch nothing wrong on engine if it works fine at cowl switch
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Can the shifter switch be replaced and if so, are the available for purchase?
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

4. Member
    shouldn't be a problem replacing would check for broken wire first
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    After you verify no broken wire coming from shift handle through panel, it would be good to know which control you have (one picture showing it would help).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    How do I test if it's broken wire without pulling apart the throttle control, which is a major event because access is very limited behind it?

Here's a pic.
    image0 (6).jpegIMG_1661.jpg

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You can ohms test the circuits of the switch with the switch disconnected, or test for voltage coming out of the switch (Blue-Sky-Up, Green-Grass-Down).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    No update yet. Haven't been able to make time to figure out how to test the wires. I'm not sure if I need to cut wires to test them or can it be done by just some simple disconnections?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Red (or purple) to BLUE/WHITE should have continuity when you push switch to UP.

Red (or purple) to GREEN/WHITE should have continuity when you push switch to DOWN.

10. Member
    Thanks Don!

I got lucky on this one. I was expecting a lot of wire tracing and voltage testing. I started by pulling apart the control throttle arm and the wire was broken right there. I held the ends together and it worked. I can completed a very good splice and it’s all good. I plan to buy a new switch and wiring to replace later. Thx again for the help

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    shifter switch nothing wrong on engine if it works fine at cowl switch