Warning Horn Location

Don, Ser # 2B094252 90 ELPT 4S on 2014 Ranger RT188

On a previous thread, you answered the question about the Key on 1 Beep. Well, it's so faint I was wondering if the warning horn/device was going south.

Climbed under the console, and for the life of me I don't see any little horn/device anywhere in that mess of wires. I have taken a picture of the back of the switch, and you have stated that the purple wire goes to the horn. I f I trace that back hopefully it will lead me to the horn.If it does, is this a plug and play field replaceable unit? Also that black tape around the switch has me a little baffled. One of Rangers mods?

Thank you for all your help that you have provided over the years to the BBC!

IMG_1115.JPG IMG_1118.JPG

Well... That was a futile attempt. Still didn't find the horn/buzzer. Followed the purple wire back throw a number of connectors and they split going to a couple of gauges.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It should be on the keyswitch harness, within 3' of the key switch connector. Will have a purple wire and a tan w/blue stripe wire.

Replacement needs to be a Mercury/Quicksilver horn (not just any old buzzer) as the PCM looks at the resistance of the circuit at key-up, if outside of parameters it will log a fault.

You can also potentially add an LED light to that circuit (parallel wired) as the PCM can't see "through" the Diode.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Don, again... Thank you for all you help.

Finally got enough wires moved around and discovered there is no horn/buzzer under the console. Tracing the wires from the ignition switch they lead down directly into a tube heading into the abbess along side the edge of the boat. See pictures. I may pull that little fuse panel to see if I can see anything behind it.

No way am I going to pull that throttle/gear panel. I would screw that up for sure.

IMG_1122.JPG IMG_1123.JPG

Again... Thanks for all your help and time!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Oh boy does that look familiar. Our Service Department can get this straightened out for you, if you would like. Have some room in the schedule next week.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Left a message at your shop for you. Got a couple questions and will get it in for repair. Thanks!