Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    On the same subject, I noticed that Michelin LTX M&S tires for light trucks does come in 225/65R17 radial light truck tire (not in 215 size for 65R17). Overall diameter is 28.5 inches which which might be cutting it too close to fit during bouncing on the road.

The Michelin Defender T&H tire is 28.03 inches in diameter and does come in the same size 215/65R17 as my current Kenetica Loadstar ST215/65R17 trailer tires (DOT#: 7YJ4 ANA 4218). Yes, the 5 tires on my 2019 Ranger Z520C trailer are "ST" tires. These tires were made during the 42nd week of 2018.

So my questions would be: 1) Will the Michelin LTX light truck tire fit my 2019 Z520C boat trailer being wider (225 vs. 215) and larger in diameter (28.5" dia. vs. 28.03" dia.) versus the Micheline Defender T&H tire? 2) Do I need the LTX light truck tire on my Ranger boat trailer or will the Michelin Defender T&H tire suffice? Thanks.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    250 Mercury V8 Pro XS Four-Stroke/Serial #:2B644590
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V 112LB 45"
    LiveScope LVS34 Plus & Garmin 102SV (Bow)
    LiveScanner Motorized Pole/RyTek Marine Bracket/Garmin LVS34 Plus Xducer)
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live (Driver's Console)
    Precision Sonar Plates, Brackets, and Gimbals
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade
    Email: azhohar@centurylink.net

2. Member
    I read that ST tires are for “followers”, ie trailers. Passenger car tires are for “pullers” as they create traction. The design and mfg are different. The main concern with having passenger car tires on trailers is the risk of excess swaying behind the puller. Just what I read. I want to get rid of these Kendas though.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    I read that ST tires are for “followers”, ie trailers. Passenger car tires are for “pullers” as they create traction. The design and mfg are different. The main concern with having passenger car tires on trailers is the risk of excess swaying behind the puller. Just what I read. I want to get rid of these Kendas though.
    That all sounds true with the pullers and followers. I want to get rid of my Kenda's too as Cabela's, the local Ranger dealer, said that I'd have to order them if I had a blowout. Getting back to pullers and followers, my twin axle trailer for my 2019 Z520C doesn't sway like a single axle trailer might. But even if I wanted to go with those Michelin LTX M&S radial tires for light trucks in size 225/65R17, the diameter of those tires puts the rubber close to that metal foot step that hangs down from the fender between the two trailer tires. I might have to ask Discount Tire if they think the 225/65R17 light truck tires will fit my trailer.

When Ranger provided those 17" upgrade wheels, they went into an area of trailer tires where there aren't many choices.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade

4. Member
    I was told not to put any passenger tire on my Ranger trailer UNLESS the load rating required at least 50 psi minimum. The Michelin’s do not meet this minimum at 44 psi max. Michelin owns Uniroyal and they do have a 17” tire with 51 psi. FWIW.

I also talked to my Ranger dealer today and he has had no complaints on the Kendas.......he has them on his personal boat.

5. Member
    My 2015 Ranger Z520C came with General radial passenger car tires on the 17" rims. I have inspected them several times and found no issues to date. I have not experienced any trailer sway or other ill effects of not using an ST rated tire. Wen it come time to replace them I'll probably put the Michelins on.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    Mine Kendas read......ST215/65R17
    It's amazing to me that some Ranger trailers get delivered with ST trailer tires and Non-ST non trailer tires. Supposedly these are pretty new tires so maybe Ranger had to go with whichever ones (ST or non-ST) tires Kenda gave them?

At any rate, I'm interested in the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tire at Discount Tire, which is very close to home and with whom I've been getting all my tires from for the last 17 years. But they are light truck 225/65R17 tires that are roughly 0.5 inches larger in diameter (0.25 inches in radius) than my Kenda tires and I hope they will fit on my 2019 Z520C Ranger boat trailer. I need to get the boat/boat trailer over to Discount and let them tell me if they'll fit or not. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow if I don't keep any striped bass I catch during tomorrow's fishing trip. Lol.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Just to add a little perspective, we’ve had threads here on the forum about Kenda tires previously. And a sizable percentage of the guys who have them actually like the tire. That’s what’s on my 2018, and it is easily the smoothest-rolling boat trailer I’ve ever pulled. Having said that, I also realize that even in the same model year, there can be differences between items coming out of a factory. I certainly appreciate hearing about the options out there for replacing my 17-inch tires, when needed. For now, my Kendas have done great for 15,000 miles—showing zero wear—so I plan to stick with them.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Just to add a little perspective, we’ve had threads here on the forum about Kenda tires previously. And a sizable percentage of the guys who have them actually like the tire. That’s what’s on my 2018, and it is easily the smoothest-rolling boat trailer I’ve ever pulled. Having said that, I also realize that even in the same model year, there can be differences between items coming out of a factory. I certainly appreciate hearing about the options out there for replacing my 17-inch tires, when needed. For now, my Kendas have done great for 15,000 miles—showing zero wear—so I plan to stick with them.
    Good to hear! Thanks

9. Member
    If you have 17 inch rims it is almost impossible to find an ST tire. The other tires mentioned in these threads do not have the sidewall rating to handle a Ranger boat. These are car tires mentioned in the posts and are only 4 ply. Ranger got a lot of well deserved heat for using “ performance “ tires and not trailer tires in the past. I don’t care for the new Kenetica tires as I have had issues. However if you want an ST215/65/R17 tire there is not any other choice. I found a couple of on line trailer places that carry that tire. Having had non ST tires in the past I will never do it again.
    2023 Ranger 521R
    Merc 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

10. Member
    I have a 2020 520 c with the Kendra tires, we have some roads that are not very good that being said every time I run over one of the ruff places my trailer starts to sway. Yesterday I pulled my friends boat a 2020 different brand over the same roads with 0 problems could this be the Kendra tires?

11. Member
    I hated the Kendas, junk IMO.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

My Kendas have been great besides the nails I pick up.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

13. Member
    I need new tires and now you guys got me all confused LOL. I have a 2016 Ranger z519 it has Kenetica 215/65/R17 I have had no problems with the tires till last month one of the rear ones is starting to go flat in between trips so I’m going to replace them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Big J Mac View Post
    I need new tires and now you guys got me all confused LOL. I have a 2016 Ranger z519 it has Kenetica 215/65/R17 I have had no problems with the tires till last month one of the rear ones is starting to go flat in between trips so I’m going to replace them all.
    Probably just a nail. Don't think i'd be replacing four tires for that.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Quote Originally Posted by BCD View Post
    If you have 17 inch rims it is almost impossible to find an ST tire. The other tires mentioned in these threads do not have the sidewall rating to handle a Ranger boat. These are car tires mentioned in the posts and are only 4 ply. Ranger got a lot of well deserved heat for using “ performance “ tires and not trailer tires in the past. I don’t care for the new Kenetica tires as I have had issues. However if you want an ST215/65/R17 tire there is not any other choice. I found a couple of on line trailer places that carry that tire. Having had non ST tires in the past I will never do it again.
    4 of those Michelin’s have a load carrying capability of nearly 7k pounds. A 21 foot Ranger and trailer might be around 5k. If those tires can take the side loads of a BMW at 70MPH, I’m sure they can handle a Ranger Trailer. I’m running the Michelin’s and they are the smoothest best handling tires I’ve had on a trailer. My kendas were fine until one wasn’t...Then it disintegrated and damaged my fender.

16. Member
    On this topic....does anyone know if Ranger balances the wheels/tires on the trailer before they leave the factory. Have 2021 520L, and there is a vibration at around 70 mph when towing. I'm guessing the tires/wheels haven't been balanced.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger482V View Post
    On this topic....does anyone know if Ranger balances the wheels/tires on the trailer before they leave the factory. Have 2021 520L, and there is a vibration at around 70 mph when towing. I'm guessing the tires/wheels haven't been balanced.
    In 2019, they used balance beads. Ranger uses a valve stem cap with a red center to indicate beads inside. Mine had a vibration too until I had the beads removed and stick on weights added. Here is post from last summer with my experience:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....752&highlight=

btw, I kept the red dot valve stem caps.....look good with my boat Good luck
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    In 2019, they used balance beads. Ranger uses a valve stem cap with a red center to indicate beads inside. Mine had a vibration too until I had the beads removed and stick on weights added. Here is post from last summer with my experience:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....752&highlight=

btw, I kept the red dot valve stem caps.....look good with my boat Good luck
    Thanks! That confirms my suspicion that it is most likely the trailer tires causing the vibration at those speeds. Don't get the vibration until around 70 mph. There is no vibration at 65 mph.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger482V View Post
    Thanks! That confirms my suspicion that it is most likely the trailer tires causing the vibration at those speeds. Don't get the vibration until around 70 mph. There is no vibration at 65 mph.
    Exactly like mine was.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    4 of those Michelin’s have a load carrying capability of nearly 7k pounds. A 21 foot Ranger and trailer might be around 5k. If those tires can take the side loads of a BMW at 70MPH, I’m sure they can handle a Ranger Trailer. I’m running the Michelin’s and they are the smoothest best handling tires I’ve had on a trailer. My kendas were fine until one wasn’t...Then it disintegrated and damaged my fender.
    No one wants to listen Dean LOL
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast