Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    I run my 3 hole like this with no overheat issues. It fully cycles thru the thermostat opening process.
    In the picture above, what the small hole in the front of the gearcase just above the tape, right in the front?

2. mikesxpress
    Paint chip

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pitot pickup opening perhaps?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    For those of you who have attempted to run the new V8 Fourstroke ProXS models with a Torquemaster Gearcase (specifically the version with 3 water inlets on each side), you likely have found that the traditional pin-style muffs do not work as there is no opening through which to place the pin.

While a dual-feed (aftermarket) earmuff may work, that requires a significant water supply (some hose bibs and plumbing systems may not support adequate volume, causing the engine to overheat).

The below pictures show a simple solution, you can find a 50ga tub at most any Home Depot or Lowe's (the one pictured came from Lowe's). You cannot shift the engine with a prop on it, but you can run it (at idle) for a reasonable period of time, especially if you keep the hose replenishing the tub's water level.

There are likely a thousand other suitable containers- We have two test tanks, but this is something you can grab and fill, then siphon the water out and put away when you're done.

Attachment 389541Attachment 389542
    To make it easier on yourself, I recommend installing a 1 1/2" drain pipe with a threaded plug. Sure would make emptying the tub easier. If you wanted to get real fancy, install a ball valve to control the flow.

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

My 100 gallon rubbermaid tank has a drain but wasn't big enough. NOT!!!!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12