Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    If money is no object get a conquest 903C

ALX Rods ZOLO Rumble. Glass tip, carbon fiber backbone. Specifically designed for moving, single hook baits. We'll have more in stock this week.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    ALX Rods ZOLO Rumble. Glass tip, carbon fiber backbone. Specifically designed for moving, single hook baits. We'll have more in stock this week.
    I was skeptical about this rod, because I am not glass chatterbait rod fan. Its and interesting rod, so I decided to try it. Over the last month Ive put some hours on it, and I really like it. Softer tip is great for accurate casts, and really lets the bait hunt and dance. Then the back bone of the rod is really stout. You dont get that mushy hook set feel like a lot of glass vibrating jig rods have.

Quote Originally Posted by CWKemp View Post
    Softer tip is great for accurate casts, and really lets the bait hunt and dance. Then the back bone of the rod is really stout. You dont get that mushy hook set feel like a lot of glass vibrating jig rods have.
    Got to be one of the best descriptions I have seen yet. That tip really lets the bait do its dance.

5. Member
    Thanks all, I have a lot of thinking to do. Wish I had a somewhere I could get my hands on some of these. I am still on the fence with glass rods but you have my attention with some of these suggestions.

6. Member
    Evergreen Heracles EG Swimmer 7'2" MH...used can be had for $300 range...

Brett Hite uses this rod for topwaters with braid, in Japan it is preferred for cranks up to about 15 foot divers with fluoro...I use mine for chatters up to 5/8 oz with fluoro, 1/2 oz poppers with braid and leader up to 1 oz with walking topwaters, as well as lipless 1/2 - 1 oz.

7. Member
    I use an Alpha Angler Chatterbound. I'm far from a chatterbait expert, but it seems to work. It is a composite rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Edziu23 View Post
    Thanks all, I have a lot of thinking to do. Wish I had a somewhere I could get my hands on some of these. I am still on the fence with glass rods but you have my attention with some of these suggestions.

Great point. Here's the problem - with fewer quality local stores with people who know the products, and big boxes only carrying the bigger companies that cater to them - it's almost impossible to go feel things anymore. I know I feel that frustration pretty often buying tools, etc. I have to find people who really know the products - not just a salesman - but someone who is usually vested in the products and has a lot of time invested in really knowing how they work and function. That's why we tell customers to call us. I'm a huge advocate of you being "fitted" for a rod - especially when you are paying $200+. When you are upfront about what you expect and how you are fishing, we can usually do a dang good job of putting you in the right rod. And sometimes we just have to say we don't have the rod you are looking for. That hurts, but hurts more to put you in the wrong thing.

9. Member
    Lot's of research done...
    Cashion f80474b
    ARK B-Hittay
    Dobyns 733
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by new2BC4bass View Post
    Dobyns 736CB Glass was designed for chatterbaits.'.
    This is the rod for me, been using it since it was released and love it. Have two now, one for big spinnerbaits/swimbaits and one dedicated to chatterbaits. It can throw 3/8oz baits no problem and much much heavier ones. Soft tip, lots of backbone.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

11. Member
    I picked up a P5 dark sleeper for 3/8 oz chatterbaits. Haven’t been able to fish it yet, but this will be my designated rod!

12. Member
    Falcon Expert 6’10” Chatterbait rod ....

Best there is - for me!
    2020 - Ranger 520L Midnight Fox | Mercury 4S 250 - Go Boldly! | Atlas Jackplate | Ultrex | Lowrance Active Target | Power Poles !!

Quote Originally Posted by new2BC4bass View Post
    Dobyns 736CB Glass was designed for chatterbaits. I am still kicking myself for not breaking down and buying one during TW's Christmas sale.
    This all I use for chatterbaits and spinnerbaits.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

14. Member
    I use a Duckett Micro 7 ft. medium heavy and really like it. It has a parabolic bend that allows the bait to be inhaled. Rarely lose a fish with it. Before this rod I didn't like blade jigs because I lost so many fish.

Quote Originally Posted by cwenbass View Post
    I don't like glass rods for chatterbaits. I had one and lost some fish. I use a fast action ALX rod now and have not lost one in last 2 years.
    That’s different from me. I use the ALX Hustler which is a glass rod and it improved my landing significantly.

16. Member
    I use expride 7’2 mh glass rod works great !
    Shimano and Gloomis kick @ss, 17 Phoenix 919 225 Merc

17. Member
    Hands down giving the nod to ALX the ENOX BMJ is a bad bad dude!

18. Member
    Dobyns Champ 734C FTW!
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite | Merc 250 ProXS

19. Member
    Can't stand a glass rod. That said, the rod would depend on the setup. I have thrown chatterbaits on straight fluoro and braid with fluoro leader. If braid to leader, go with a softer rod like a spinnerbait rod. Moderate fast (my favorite is actually along the lines of the Dobyn's Fury 705CB. It's not glass so it works for me) action and Medium to MH power. If you're going straight fluoro, or fishing heavier baits, I go with a heavier rod like a swim jig rod. Still a moderate fast MH, but a stiffer blank.
    The rods I actually use are the iRod Genesis 723C Swim/vibrating jig rod for the heavier, straight fluoro option, and a skeet reese spinnerbait/worm rod for the braid option. The action on that rod and feel is almost identical to the Dobyn's Colt/Fury 705CB, but I also use the iRod 703CC, very similar feel.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

20. Member
    I use graphite rods, because I want to feel the jig in contact with the weeds, cover, etc. I just can't do that as well with glass - a "numb" feel for me. Fluorocarbon or co-polymer gives me enough stretch to keep fish pinned. So FWIW, the rods I prefer are:

*iRod Stone Cold Bladed Jig rod
    *Tatula 7'4" Howell
    *Expride 7'2" MH
    *Dobyns 734c
    *ALX Toadface

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast